97 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition - Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition - Questions

mrnapolean1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I am a first time Ford owner and I picked up a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition that runs and drives for $900.

It is AWD with the 5.0 V8 and automatic.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Neither back door opens. How to open?

2. Front drivers and Front passenger windows do not work. When the button is pressed, I can hear the motor run in both directions but it doesn't roll down.

3. Drivers side fender is a little bunged up. How intense is this to replace with one from a junkyard?

4. Fuel gauge shows full but the console shows low fuel. How to fix?

5. More to come :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a first time Ford owner and I picked up a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition that runs and drives for $900.

It is AWD with the 5.0 V8 and automatic.

Sounds like a good buy! You got the good powertrain.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Neither back door opens. How to open?

The inner and outer handles both don't work?

The inner handles break frequently and are a cheap and easy fix...but i'm not sure how to get into the door to fix it if you can't even open it up.

2. Front drivers and Front passenger windows do not work. When the button is pressed, I can hear the motor run in both directions but it doesn't roll down.

Your window motor gear plugs are broken. You can either replace the motors (easiest) or open up the motors to replace the plugs (slightly harder but cheaper). The plugs are Dorman 74410. You will have to shave the plugs down just a bit to get them to fit.

Sounds like a good buy! You got the good powertrain.

The inner and outer handles both don't work?

The inner handles break frequently and are a cheap and easy fix...but i'm not sure how to get into the door to fix it if you can't even open it up.

Your window motor gear plugs are broken. You can either replace the motors (easiest) or open up the motors to replace the plugs (slightly harder but cheaper). The plugs are Dorman 74410. You will have to shave the plugs down just a bit to get them to fit.

1. Neither back doors open. I tried opening by having a second person pull the outside handle and me try to open it from the inside at the same time. It didnt work.

Im thinking I am going to have to take the door panel off with the door closed and examine the mechanism.

2. Thanks for the info about the window motors.

Driver fender is not a problem, front bumper needs to be unbolted to get a bolt and there are bolts in the engine compartment and in the door frame.

fuel gage likely requires getting into the fuel tank and replacing the sender unit, also not a problem. There are threads on this forum if you search for both of these.

Driver fender is not a problem, front bumper needs to be unbolted to get a bolt and there are bolts in the engine compartment and in the door frame.

fuel gage likely requires getting into the fuel tank and replacing the sender unit, also not a problem. There are threads on this forum if you search for both of these.

Thanks for your help. Ill try and get some pictures....

Back