97 mountianeer v8 5.0 leaking and confused | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 mountianeer v8 5.0 leaking and confused

Solistyler

Reaction score
City, State
Needles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury mountaineer
Hello im am very new to this but i need as much help as i can get. I have a 97 mountianeer v8 and it started smoking one day(really bad smoking) i get it home and there is a leak under the vehicle towards the front right above a calalytic converter that has a 02 sensor in it. Seems to be closer to drivers side but not by much. I need to know what the thing that is leaving is called and how to go about fixing it. Theres a picture.
Also the part has a plastic circle cap like thing thats what is leaking u can see it in the picture. The cap spins seems very loose and spins and feels very cheap.

Attachments

• received_300458884367222.jpeg
    received_300458884367222.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 82

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That cap plugs a hole in the transmission bellhousing. Removing it gives you access to the drain on the torque converter.

What color is the leaking fluid? Any other symptoms? Is it worse when the car sits, or while driving?

USUALLY, engine oil leaks from there are from the rear main seal. Oil can be forced out that seal due to excessive crankcase pressure, so check your PCV valve and system immediately. That would be a nice and easy fix...the rest aren’t so nice and easy...

Three possibilities: engine oil (as C420 said, probably from the rear main seal), transmission fluid, or even coolant can get into the bellhousing and leave through that access hole. Your first task is to identify which of the three it is. Remove the rubber plug and run your finger around the opening. Color is an obvious thing, but may be hard to determine, so use your sense of smell.

so i have a 99 ford explore 5.0 and its been leaking coolant near the back of the block and dripping down the side of the exhaust manifold on the driver side and i took off the intake and the pcv valve was broken could that cause the coolant to leak

afaik pcv dont cause leaks like that depending sometimes intake can

When you removed the intake did you see the coolant hoses that lead into it? Your coolant leak being in the drivers side is odd as the coolant heater hoses are on the passenger side.
Things that can cause a leak in on the drivers side:freeze plug, lower intake leak

Common leak spots on 5.0 for coolant
Thermostat housing
Hoses,bypass hose
Timing cover
Lower intake manifold gasket

Back