'97 Mounty AWD 4bolt/6 bolt flange? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Mounty AWD 4bolt/6 bolt flange?

Thadius

Reaction score
City, State
Southern New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer AWD
Transfer case on my '97 Mountaineer AWD is done for, at 168,000 miles.
Mine has a 6 BOLT front output flange. I located a complete transfer case in the junk yard from a low mileage Mounty, but it has a 4 BOLT front flange. They assured me that that wasn't a problem, as the flange could easily be changed over. Can anyone tell me if this is so, or are they jerking my chain, just to make a sale? Any help, the sooner the better, as I'd like to know before the unit is sold to someone else! Thanks in advance, Thad K

GET THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT THAT GOES WITH IT

the 4 bolt is a 96 unit and has the double cardan front shaft

I have both the t-case and front driveshaft if you're interested

I believe the double cardan's are better because the ball style CV driveshafts are NON-REBUILDABLE

GET THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT THAT GOES WITH IT

the 4 bolt is a 96 unit and has the double cardan front shaft

I have both the t-case and front driveshaft if you're interested

I believe the double cardan's are better because the ball style CV driveshafts are NON-REBUILDABLE

Thanks for the info & the offer. But IF the only way around the problem is to replace the front shaft also, to match the 4 bolt, then I think I'd do better to keep looking for a 6 bolt transfer case BECAUSE I just blew a bundle having the FRONT SHAFT replaced, (less than 500 miles on it!). Seems too much of a shame to pull that & replace it with a used shaft.

Back