97 OHV into a 95 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 OHV into a 95 Explorer

Brett said:
Okay, Let's clear up the questions on this camshaft position sensor. 91-93 DO NOT have a camshaft position sensor. 94 + do have a camshaft position sensor. 94 being a 1 year only senario of EEC IV w/ a camshaft position sensor. 95+ are EEC V.

Brett

a HA. Hmm. And is the camshaft position sensor active in all driving conditions (in other words, it isnt just active on startup, but at all times?).?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhett said:
a HA. Hmm. And is the camshaft position sensor active in all driving conditions (in other words, it isnt just active on startup, but at all times?).?

It is only used during startup.

Brett said:
It is only used during startup.

Then it can't be the source of my bird chirp noise;
guess I'll replace the fan clutch next...

Brett you don't post enough here...good to see a post or two from you

pssst 95 is not truly EEC-V, 96+ is OBD-2, 95 is an odd year, its still OBD-I and EEC-IV, but it has the later style OBD-2 port for the scanner plug in.

410Fortune said:
pssst 95 is not truly EEC-V, 96+ is OBD-2, 95 is an odd year, its still OBD-I and EEC-IV, but it has the later style OBD-2 port for the scanner plug in.

Right. 95 is EEC IV and OBD II.

Seeing how conversion seems to be a topic, I just dropped a 4.0 OHV from a 99 into a 98 explorer. How do I convert from the 2 clip plug on the 99 camshaft sensor from a 3 clip? Do have to use my old camshaft synchronizer?

Yes, you have to use the sensor from your truck, the signals are different beginning in 99.

I'm doing a newer engine 4.0l 97 into a 95 and ran into a problem with the flywheel bolts having heads too big . Do you have a part number for the newer 8 bolt crank bolts?

Thanks

Cam Shaft Position Sensor for 95 explorer

Does anyone know where I can get a cam position sensor for a 95 Explorer? It is just like the one 410Fortune replaced when he put a 97 engine in to replace a seized 95. It is the one located above the other in the photo.

Dealer does not have nor is able to get one (they may be able to get from "Vintage"?). Tried a couple used parts yards but couldn't find one.

Does anyone know where I can get a cam position sensor for a 95 Explorer? It is just like the one 410Fortune replaced when he put a 97 engine in to replace a seized 95. It is the one located above the other in the photo.

Dealer does not have nor is able to get one (they may be able to get from "Vintage"?). Tried a couple used parts yards but couldn't find one.

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S1283

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1800321

MOTORCRAFT Part # DU57

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...BWD_18240123-P_985_R|GRPSENSAMS_1069504626___

Wow, Thanks for the quick response Carguy3J.

Nice write up!

Let me get some verification: 91-94's DO NOT have a camshaft position sensor.

Rhett, that is correct. The older 4.0L OHV does not have the CAM position sensor, there is just a block off plate where the ditributor/sensor would go.
AS I understand it the CAM position sensor is only used during start up, not while the engine is running.

Dont confuse this with the crank position sensor, they all have one of those.

Nope. 94's do, as well as 93+ california.

Okay, Let's clear up the questions on this camshaft position sensor. 91-93 DO NOT have a camshaft position sensor. 94 + do have a camshaft position sensor. 94 being a 1 year only senario of EEC IV w/ a camshaft position sensor. 95+ are EEC V.

Brett

CORRECTION: Technically, 91-93 49 states trucks do not have a camshaft position sensor. Begininning in 93, Califorinia vehicles had camshaft position sensor and egr. In 94, 49 states trucks had EGR and camshaft position sensor.

That's better.

Then it can't be the source of my bird chirp noise;
guess I'll replace the fan clutch next...

Brett you don't post enough here...good to see a post or two from you

Yes it can, it's still turning while the motor is running, even if the computer just interprets the signal upon startup.

410fortune,as i'm about to dig into this exact prodject this weekend(mainly do to reading this thread- thank you for being so thorough)i have a 95 4.0 ohv thats toast and a decent running 99 4.0 ohv that i already have pulled,i'm just looking for some clarifications as your swap was 97 into 95. i understand swapping the sensors and alt,ac,pulleys and brackets etc..1- can i use the 99 lower intake or do i need to swap the 95 over.2- are the exhaust manifolds the same, 3- the difference in the cam sensor can i use the 99 sensor by changing the electrical plug as you decribed,or do i need one from another year . thank you

Seeing how conversion seems to be a topic, I just dropped a 4.0 OHV from a 99 into a 98 explorer. How do I convert from the 2 clip plug on the 99 camshaft sensor from a 3 clip? Do have to use my old camshaft synchronizer?

CDW6212R "Yes, you have to use the sensor from your truck, the signals are different beginning in 99. "

CDW6212R i am putting a 99 4.0 ohv into a 95- am i going to need a different cam sensor than just running the 99 and changing the plug as 410fortune described??? will the 99 sensor not work properly with the 95 computer. also what does a 2 clip or 3 clip mean as hinkle decribed??

I was speaking about the 302 cam synchronizer, the sensor changed in 1999, the signal produced is not the same as before, and the PCM cannot use it. It needs the pre 99 sensor, use the one from the old engine.

The V6 sensor may be the same, but I doubt it. The number of wires going into it will answer that. If it is different, then use the old engine's sensor, no rewiring, change the sensor to the model matching the PCM used. Regards,

Thank you they are wired different. but 410fortune metioned earlier in this thread that the 95 has a shorter shaft stickng into the block than the later sensor. if that is the case would that mean i could possibly use the 95 sensor if the oil pump driveshaft from the 95 was longer to make up the difference.my thinking being for example if the 99 sensor shaft goes into the block another 1/2" more than the 95 the 99 oil pump drive shaft should be 1/2" shorter. am i making sense???

Ask Jaime specifically about that, he might know exactly. I don't have any idea on that.

ok thank you, is jaime 410fortune?

ok guys this is my first post here so i just want to say hello to all of you and i hope someone here can help me out. im doing this exact engine swap. i bought a 97 model 4.0 ohv crate motor to go in mine. for the deal i got on it i couldnt afford not too. i figured out the rest of the stuff on my own with the wiring cam sychronizer etc. i had to go out and buy a new flywheel and bolts.i was going to drop it in yesterday after mounting the flywheel ,clutch, pressure plate but something told me to try to trun the motor over. it was jammed up because the flywheel is rubbing the motor. i have been reading up on a flywheel spacer or shims. i dont know which one myself. does this motor need this spacer or the shims? the 95 motor didnt have anything like that. im confused as to what to do. this is the first time i have ever had this kind of problem. what would be the ford fart numbers on them? would there be a specific thickness with this flywheel spacer or shim? thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back