• Register Today It's free!

97 Ranger fuel mileage

Toolmaan

Reaction score
City, State
Newton, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Merc Mount 97 Ranger
Hello everyone. Recently purchased a 97 ranger. 4cyl, 5spd extended cab 2wd, 105,000 miles. The best mileage I get so far is 21MPG. I drive this 70 miles a day to work so it is mainly highway mileage. I was really hoping for 25 mpg when I bought it but not happening yet.
I havent' even pulled the plugs yet but anyone got suggestions on how to boost the mileage on these little trucks? What does everyone else get on these? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well keep the tailgate up first of all. Also get those plug and wires replaced if you havent done that. Air filter, and fuel filter as well.

If it has larger than stock tires, the speedo/odo will be off, making MPG calculations off.

RangerX said:
If it has larger than stock tires, the speedo/odo will be off, making MPG calculations off.

Now that you mention that, the tires are stock size, but teh speedo is off about 11MPH. If it says 71 I am really doing about 60MPH. I figured this by going 60 MPH for exactly 1 mile for exactly 60 seconds. Something is up, I haven't even looked into it yet. Has 225-75-R14 tires on it.

The OEM tire is listed as 195/70-14, so having a taller side wall will effect the speedometer reading, especially with a higher psi. Also consider the significantly wider tread will decrease mileage a bit. Our shop 2.3L usually averaged 24.5 in mixed driving with intake and exhaust upgrades.

my 97

I also have a 97 2.3 x5 x-cab . I get about 400 miles a tank ( 18 gal. i think) I believe you need to change the oil frequently and the air filter. I bought mine at 22 k , and i have 163 k now . do you use any oil ?

Best i can tell you so far , i drive mine all over Texas going to gas wells. i get crappy milage at different times.

Back