• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ranger?

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
I presently own a '97 Explorer XL 4WD with the 5-speed manual and 172,500 miles, and I have been thinking of upgrading to something newer.

I like the 2008 Ranger FX4- I am interested in the 5-speed manual (yet to come out) version in the 4-door Super Cab .. Does anyone know much about the new FX4's? Is it worth the extra $$ to get one of these versions over a similarly equipped Super Cab 4x4 Sport or XLT?

Any info is appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello.
I got an '07 XLT Supercab 4x4 4-door with Limited-Slip rear end, and factory tow package.
Love them 4 doors!
I would have got an FX4, but I was turned off by the wheel well mouldings.
However, the FX4 does have skid plates, and mine does not.
I figured on adding them myself eventually.
It's gets down to a matter of personal taste and option levels you want.
Buy what you like and makes you happy. I did.
Good Luck!

I would have got an FX4, but I was turned off by the wheel well mouldings.

i see what ya mean by the wheel well mouldings looks like Ford stole em from the Nissan Frontier

i see what ya mean by the wheel well mouldings looks like Ford stole em from the Nissan Frontier

i have never bought a new vehicle. but if the fx4 package is worth it cant you have ford change out the wheels to regular ranger wheels or does it just not work that way.

Is it worth the extra $$ to get one of these versions over a similarly equipped Super Cab 4x4 Sport or XLT?

Any info is appreciated!!
I would say it depends on the use the truck will get. If you plan to off-road it and leave it stock, then yes it's worth it. If you plan to just drive it around town, or go completly custom lift and really beat on it, then IMO all the extras aren't worth the money up front.

Follow up..

What can I say.. I finally ordered a Ranger.. I chose the 4-cyl 5-speed manual 2WD XL 2DR regular cab version. Its a good solid compact pickup; I cant believe Ford is going to stop making them. I was looking for good gas mileage and the carrying capability of a pickup.

I will use the new Ranger for running around town and general use, and keep my trusty 173,000-mile 4WD 5-speed manual 1997 Explorer for when I need more seating capacity for trips and such.

It would have been nice to get a 4.0 6-cyl 4WD drive Ranger, but on my budget, and for what I was looking for, the 2.3 4-cyl 2WD was too good to pass up. My old Exploder will remain my "big snow" transport!

By the way, anyone out there have mileage comments on the 4cyl 5-speed Rangers? They used to be rated at 24 city/ 29 highway, but with the new 2008 standards, I see they downgraded that to 21 and 26 mpg. Which is more accurate?

...i have both, but a little older vehicles...my signature has my stats and i have heard from several ranger owners on other ranger boards they get the same milage as mine with the 4.0 and stick on the extra cab 4x4's stock...i know a guy who two days ago got an 08 f150 and the milage he quoted was suppose to be better than mine so i'm watching his notes...he bought the f150 and kept his ranger, only for the good milage, and his truck is awesome, 5.4 triton...:D

What can I say.. I finally ordered a Ranger.. I chose the 4-cyl 5-speed manual 2WD XL 2DR regular cab version. Its a good solid compact pickup; I cant believe Ford is going to stop making them. I was looking for good gas mileage and the carrying capability of a pickup.

I will use the new Ranger for running around town and general use, and keep my trusty 173,000-mile 4WD 5-speed manual 1997 Explorer for when I need more seating capacity for trips and such.

It would have been nice to get a 4.0 6-cyl 4WD drive Ranger, but on my budget, and for what I was looking for, the 2.3 4-cyl 2WD was too good to pass up. My old Exploder will remain my "big snow" transport!

By the way, anyone out there have mileage comments on the 4cyl 5-speed Rangers? They used to be rated at 24 city/ 29 highway, but with the new 2008 standards, I see they downgraded that to 21 and 26 mpg. Which is more accurate?

I don't know what they would've done to lower the gas mileage. 3.73/1 rear-end and 5 speed tranny are the same. Same 2.3L Ford/Mazda engine. I get a consistent 30mpg on the highway with my 2007.

If I were to order one, I would want:
  • 4.10/1 limited slip rear end
  • Adjustable steering column
  • Cruise control

And thats based on my off-highway, dirt road usage.

I don't know what they would've done to lower the gas mileage. 3.73/1 rear-end and 5 speed tranny are the same. Same 2.3L Ford/Mazda engine. I get a consistent 30mpg on the highway with my 2007.

If I were to order one, I would want:
  • 4.10/1 limited slip rear end
  • Adjustable steering column
  • Cruise control

And thats based on my off-highway, dirt road usage.

I believe they changed the EPA mileage standards.

Dan

...^^^what he said^^^....:D

I like the 2008 Ranger FX4- I am interested in the 5-speed manual (yet to come out) version in the 4-door Super Cab ..

Haven't you been able to get the 4 door SuperCab with the 4.0 SOHC and a 5spd manual for a while? I test drove a 2002 Ranger that had this setup last fall.

i heard the 2008 FX4's were switching from Bilstein to Rancho shocks.
Not exactly. The FX4 Level II was the only Ranger equipped with Bilsteins from the factory but that model has been discontinued for 2008. The FX4 Off Road remains in production but it never had stock Bilsteins or Ranchos, so I guess you might look on the Ranchos as an upgrade for that model.

Haven't you been able to get the 4 door SuperCab with the 4.0 SOHC and a 5spd manual for a while?
Yes but the FX4 with manual transmission has delayed availability for 2008MY.

New Ranger!

Just last week I picked up my new '08 Ranger from the dealer; I ordered it only 3 weeks ago so it got in faster than anticipated. Yes, its only a 4-cyl 2WD regular cab Ranger, but I love it. It drives real nice, the 5-speed manual shifts a lot better than my Exploder, the Sirius Satellite radio is awesome, and I am getting great gas mileage. These new Rangers, even the 2WD versions like mine, seem to sit up higher than the older ones. Higher ground clearance, or?? I did get the higher payload package, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Anyhow, I got the trusty '97 Exploder 4WD with the 5-speed for when I need more seats and I need the traction, and I have the '08 Ranger for running around town and all that when the mileage is great and/or I need to haul something big in the back.

I still can't believe Ford is closing the Ranger plant.. big mistake getting out of the compact truck market. Too many suburban moms and dads wanting to drive around in these Mega-Sized Excursions and Escalades I guess. The Ranger is a nice little truck- I will be sad to see it go ...

JF

I picked up the last 07 Fx4 Level 2 that the dealer had. Love it. Full load except for amp on stereo. Leather,bed extender, torsen diff,31's,forged Alcoa rims,slider, Bilsteins,6 disc. Salesman said no more level 2's from Ford. That's a shame,it's pretty good offroad. Now all I have to do is figure out how to mount my winch on it without making it look funny.

Um...

...pics? :D

I have an 02 Ranger FX4 (the year before the Level II came out) that has everything on it. People confuse it with a Level I, but it's a Level II. I love it. The 4.10's and LS make a huge difference. Since I got mine used, it had already had the shocks replaced, which is unfortunate. I'll be putting the Bilsteins under it soon enough. The only complaint I have is mine's an auto. But, it's quick, even with my 32X11.50's

I have an 02 Ranger FX4 (the year before the Level II came out) that has everything on it. People confuse it with a Level I, but it's a Level II. I love it. The 4.10's and LS make a huge difference. Since I got mine used, it had already had the shocks replaced, which is unfortunate. I'll be putting the Bilsteins under it soon enough. The only complaint I have is mine's an auto. But, it's quick, even with my 32X11.50's

I didnt like the bilsteins on my 05 lvl 2. My stock 2000 with the ORP rode alot better then my 05.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really? Hmm. Well Matt (99Ranger4x4) on Ranger-forums.com is selling me his old shocks, since he went to the craptacular RCD lift and doesn't need them anymore. I just wanted something a little stronger.

Back