• Register Today It's free!

97 rough idle when cold

mcw1795

Reaction score
City, State
queensbury , new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
i just bouht my 97 xlt two weeks ago. its been in the shop twice already for the same thing. heres the problem when it sits all night long i start it inn the morning the idle goes up and down and stalls untill it is warmed up then it will run alright. but when in gear like at a red light it has a rough idle.the garage changed the icm already and still doing the same thing. please can anybody help?

ICM? what's that?

I had the same problem, except mine popped a CEL after a while. Took in to the dealer, CEL code stated engine was running too lean. They replaced the O-Rings, and the front cam tensioner. They did not charge me for this, I had 57k miles at the time.

Where did you buy it from?? If a Ford dealer, go back and get the service history. Does it have the SOHC V6? If yes, see if 00M12 and 01M01 Owner Notification repairs were performed. If not from Ford, you should still be able to get the history from a Ford Dealer, or register you Ex on the Ford Owners site.

Sounds like classic SOHC Intake Manifold O-Ring problems. Search the site for SOHC rough idle, cold idle problems, 00m12 and 01m01. You've got a lot of research to do.

Back