'97 running very rough all of a sudden | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 running very rough all of a sudden

tvelardo

Reaction score
City, State
central, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 xlt
My daughter went to start her explorer ('97, 5.0, 243K miles) yesterday and said there was a "bunch" of smoke from the engine compartment then the engine died on her. She had just driven it and it was running fine. When I went back today, the engine started but would not idle on it's own. It would stay running if I played with the gas pedal enough. After a min. or two, the engine would idle on it's own but very roughly. Also, there is a loud air sucking sound of some sort coming from the drivers side of the engine. When I turned the engine off, it continued for a second or two.
I didn't see any obvious leaks, fluids, broken hoses, etc. Any ideas where to begin? Thanks.
Update: Just found the vacuum leak on the drivers side. Just behind the fuel rails there is a connection for a hose but no hose. If I put my finger over it, the engine smooths out. Should this just be capped? I couldn't find any other hose connection this might go to and no hose.

Tim

Hey man mine is doing the same thing and I cant figure out.Looks like there should be a hose but I cant find one.What did you figure out?

Ill be shooting a vid for both of you probably tomorrow. I know exactly which line you are talking about thanks to arpac. PM me so I can send you the vid link when I get it up.

Amy chance that either of you havnt changed your PCV valves in awhile? Maybe the back pressure is causing this hose to pop off.

Back