• Register Today It's free!

97 Sport SOHC engine noise

Fanatic

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport and 97 XLT
Hello, my question is about a ticking noise in my engine. Unlike the posts about timing chain issues, my motor is perfectly silent when cold and does not tick until pretty warm. It's a rhythmical noise and sounds more like valve noise to me. I think it's too high pitched to be a wrist pin or similar. It's mostly at idle and quiets right down under load. A machanic friend of mine thinks it's a rear chain but I don't believe it is. The sound is front oriented. If this engine had lifters, I'd say one had collapsed. Sometimes it almost sounds like the power steering pump is making the noise. Is that possible? The truck runs great and gets about 16 mpg. I want to keep this vehicle for a while but don't want to pull the engine for a rear chain. Your thoughts? Thanks, Andy

Have you changed the oil lately?

If you feel like doing exploratory surgery, pull the valve covers and take a look at the timing components, or you could try putting a bottle of STP oil treatment in the crankcase and see if that changes the noise.

I'd probably also get it warmed up, then remove the accessory belt and run it very briefly, just to eliminate all of the pulleys, etc as sources of the noise.

97 Sport sohc noise

Thanks for the quick replies! The oil has about 2500 on it. I was getting ready to change it for summer when this started. That a great idea about disconnecting the drive belt. I'll try that tomorrow, if it doesn't rain. I know these motors are prone to timing chain failure, but it just does not fit with the evidence (to me anyway). The truck has 226,000 on it but I dont think the trans or engine are original. It does run like a bear.

Back