• Register Today It's free!

97 towing question

gilmoure93

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Baur
Does anyone know how much the bumper hitch on my 97 eddie baur awd, v8 can tow? I recently purchased a 19ft boat and was wodering if the hitch that came with the truck would be sufficent.
Thanks
Gilmoure93

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

towing...

It'll hold that boat no problem... I towed my 21 ft cuddy everywhere before I bought a tow hitch... with the tow hitch, I am towing a 26ft Mako. You should be fine. Now, the only thing, you probably don't have the towing package either... tranny cooler and a few other goodies. Just watch your thermostat!

towing capacity?

I also have a '97 Eddie Bauer awd. On the original window sticker under "functional" it lists - trailer tow prep. On the invoice it says - trailer towing package. I think the hitch mount itself says "hidden ditch"? I just bought a 24' travel trailer with a weight of 3800 lbs. Will I need a new hitch? Thanks for any help you can give me.

You will need a new hitch. The capacity of an X under bumper hitch is 3500lbs.

Robb

crebman - If you mean you have a "Hidden Hitch" on your Explorer, there will be a label on it that will define the towing limits of it. Generally though if it takes a 2" receiver, it is likely at least a Class III hitch which is capable of pulling up to 5,000 lbs. I think a Class IV hitch also uses a 2" receiver. If it only a Class II hitch, the receiver box will likely be less than 2". The chances are good that it is at least a Class III hitch since the factory bumper is the equivalent to a Class II hitch. It doesn't make much sense to put a Class II hitch on since the bumper is already a Class II since most of the accessory adapters are 2" anyway. Look at your hitch to be sure though. Be aware that your towing limits will be the lesser of either your hitch rating or your vehicle rating. You will find your vehicle rating in your Owner's Manual. you will need to know your axle ratio and engine to find your vehicle's towing limits.

Originally posted by Robert
It doesn't make much sense to put a Class II hitch on since the bumper is already a Class II since most of the accessory adapters are 2" anyway.

I beg to differ... my case is classic... I have a jet-ski trailer that takes a 1 7/8" ball and a small utility trailer that uses a 2" ball. It would be a pain to have to remove the bal every time. Also, many accessories, such as bike racks, bar-b-ques, tables, (I've even seen porta-cans!) fit in the recievers. Just my .02

-Joe-

Gijoecam,
Actually, you can buy universal hitch balls that come off the shank via a pin inside it, and you can change the ball head on it yourself, from 1-7/8 to 2"

OK, yes, you are correct, but technically, you're still changing balls, right? (Splittin' hairs, I know) Personally, I've never been a big fan of those things, but I do know a few people that have used them regularly with great success. Maybe I'm just starting to show my age (26). [insert smiley with whiskers here]

-Joe-

whew doggie!

This turned out to be a nice little thread!
Any way, The seems to work fine with my 19ft 4Winns. So, I guess I don't have to purchase a Reese.
Thx for all your help guys;)

hitch balls...

I, too, own a few trailers, boat... waverunner... etc, and those balls with the pins are crap. When you live at the beach and leave the pin in for a couple weeks or so, you have to beat the pin out with something from the other side. They have these new ones (not really new) that actaully slide on a shank and lock in by a groove... just make sure you get the stainless set. They are a little pricey (like $30 a ball) but well worth it if you switch alot and don't mind paying so that you won't have to be beating a pin out in 100 degree weather while you are trying to go boating. Hope it helps!

Back