A 97 5.0 AWD towing question.

Ed Clark

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey guys,

I've been reading through the archives about towing and it's generated a question or two.

I have a 97 XLT 5.0 AWD. How do I know if it has a towing package? Is there a door code or something else I can look up. The truck does have 3.73's and a factory installed second tranny cooler.

I have already added a Reese 5k hitch and found the electrical connector for the adapter when I was installing the hitch. I'll check the dealer for an adapter.

I plan on using the X to haul my stang to the track every now and then. Car will weight about 3100-3200 pounds race weight and no driver and the trailer about 1000. So all looks okay there.

My only remaining concerns is the brakes. All 4 wheels have recently been done, but the Explorer brakes just never did feel great. Do you guys feel that an electronic brake controller is manditory?

Thanks,

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should be ok on the brakes...get used to towing it first though.......

sounds like you have the tow package... do you have a d4 axle? that is 3.73 with LSD.....check up inside the rear bumper, if there is an harness up there wit ha plug in it than you have a tow package and just need to connect the adpater to it....

just cjheaked w/ my dada and i have 3.73 and a plug for towing but he said the X didn't come w/ a towing package. is he wrong? how can i cheak the truth?

Thanks for the reply. Obviously I recently bought Explorer used. Just wanted to clear that up.

Anyway while checking the axle code on the door, (D4) I took a closer look at the cooler. Yes it's a factory cooler and then while tracing the lines I found another smaller cooler that went to the oil filter. It was marked Long Oil Cooler". There is also a grey connector in the back bumper. It's an eight pin connector with 4 wires used.

Thanks for the reply.

Ed

Originally posted by Digger196
just cjheaked w/ my dada and i have 3.73 and a plug for towing but he said the X didn't come w/ a towing package. is he wrong? how can i cheak the truth?
Mine came the same way.

ed... you have the tow package then..... happy towing.... you just need the adapter from the 8 plug to a standard 4 plug.... it seems that you already have that adapter too....

Where is the actual plug located? I have a 98 AWD 5.0 XLT w/the 'ball' in the bumper.

BTW - U-Haul appears to still be giving me grief. I want a simple motorcycle trailer for 2 days!!?!?!!!

Thanks.

Your good for 6500#

towing

If you are towing anything over 2000lbs then trailer brakes are a must. The extra weight pushing on your truck could mqake you loose control when stopping.
Sailorman3

I tow a 3800lb Ebbtide ski boat and YOU NEED BRAKES on that trailer! Explorer brakes suck towing this much. With the brakes on the trailer, I am very confident. There will be a lot of fade on those brakes if you don't get a trailer with brakes. Good luck.

most states it is law, over 1500# = brakes

Get electric brakes for your trailer for your safety and safety of other motorist. If not, you might experience the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome, with the overloaded trailer and car actually controlling you and your Explorer.

It could be a very dangerous situation, including possible litigation from other injuried motorist, should a wreck occur.

Trailer brakes are cheap!

Back