• Register Today It's free!

97 transfer case

squirrelu

Reaction score
City, State
southington ct.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997xlt 4.0 sohc 4wd
I have 97 xlt sohc v6 4wd I like the truck but the transfer case is going bad and I was looking to see if one from 94.95 or 96 the one I had in my 94 gave me no trouble at all but this one in the 97 is a pos. so iam looking for one that will fit any info would be good tx.

you can always check with lkq for a used TC. I know they had one last week for my 97 V8 XLT with 6 bolt cup. But I'm getting ready to make the swap from Crappy AWD TC to Atlas II TC converting to real 4x4

LOL didnt realize how old this post is

Your 97 T case is control trac AWD
You can remove it and install a non control trac t case YES but you will have flashing 4x4 lights....so the best way to do this is to actually do a full "control trac delete"
Your 97 still has a VSS sensor in the tailhousing of the transfer case
You NEED to keep that VSS sensor
So DO NOT install a t case without the VSS sensor hole

I often remove the control trac v6 t case and replace them with 1354 manual shift or 1354 e shift t cases. These cases were used in the earlier trucks like your 91-94 and also in all 4.0 Rangers from 89-2011. Rangers NEVER had control trac
YOU NEED to use a pre 98 t case to retain the VSS speed sensor
These cases use a different style front driveshaft then you have now, so you will want to get the front driveshaft also

To do the conversion 100% you need to:
swap to a non control trac GEM module that still controls the 4x4 (not easy)
or
swap in a 02+ motorolla 4x4 controller box to control your new E shift t case (thats what I do)
Or
convert to a manual shift 1354 t case ( I do this alot too, manual t 1354 cases from 89-97 are getting harder to find!) You must get the shifter and shift linkage too

That is just to give you an idea of what is involved in a control trac delete. There is also something called the "brown wire mod" you might want to look into that.
Whatever you do do NOT GET RID of your 97 t case........... they are getting harder and harder to find with the rear speed sensor, so your case is a valuable parts donor/core

Back