97 with 17K what to do

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
I have my 99 Mountaineer that is my dailey driver, and is the vehicle that I have modified, and is my vehicle that I tinker with.

I have a 97 Explorer Sport 5 speed manual that has 17,000 miles on the clock that I keep for sunny days. I am keeping it becuase I do like the 2DR, and the rarity of the stick, but since it sits 340 days out of the year dormet...I am wondering whether I should just sell it. It is completely stock.

Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can get the right price, might as well just sell it.

do you really need the money? If you dont, i would probably say keep it... Its always nice to have that secondary vehicle to fall back on. Especially with that kind of mileage!

Other than having to pay insurance and property tax on it.

if you really dont need the money i would keep it. then theres two ways you could go from there.

1) totally mod the X u already started on and make that 1 your daily driver.

2)keep it and just leave it as is(even take it off insurance if u never drive it to save money). If something ever happens to your first X then take the 2nd one out of the garage and put it on insurance and your set to go.

by the way wpurple, where you live in CT?

and deathsarrow ever been in ESPN in Bristol?

I have a 97 Explorer Sport 5 speed manual that has 17,000 miles on the clock that I keep for sunny days. I am keeping it becuase I do like the 2DR, and the rarity of the stick, but since it sits 340 days out of the year dormet...I am wondering whether I should just sell it. It is completely stock.
Keep it. You'll be sorry if you let a low mileage vehicle like that go.

I'm in the same situation with a low mileage vintage Bronco that is a weekend driver. Wouldn't take anything for it......

The truck is loosing value with each day that passes. Low miles or not, explorers are pretty much a dime a dozen. It will never be a classic. Unless you're going to make your other truck a dedicated off roader, and use the 97 X as your daily driver(which is rather silly) Id say get rid of it while you can still get some money back out of it.

to common to be a classic? as an example(sp) look at the 55,56,57 chevy bel-air's they were a dime a dozen when they were new also. now...classic...i'm willing to bet in another 10-20-30 years a nice X would make a great classic.

heck just to say you have a '97 w/17k miles is enough to keep it..lol

keep it. unless you need the money then sell it. Pretty much look at it in a monatary point. will it cost me more to keep it, ie insurance etc, or to sell it. Bieng that the mounty is your off roader sometimes its good to have a spare truck ready when you need it.

xman98 said:
by the way wpurple, where you live in CT?

and deathsarrow ever been in ESPN in Bristol?

Inside no, but I drive by it all the time, it's litterally 2 minutes down the street.

I live in Meriden, never been inside ESPN, but do know people who work there.

I have the minimum insurance on it, so all it costs me is a few hundred bucks a year between insurance, registration and taxes.

My only thinking is the more I mod my Mountaineer, the more the chance somethings going to break and it would be nice not to have to worry about getting it fixed ASAP.

I am leaning on keeping it......thanks! Also, the low mileage doesn't gain that much in $$$ value either.

wpurple said:
I live in Meriden, never been inside ESPN, but do know people who work there.

I have the minimum insurance on it, so all it costs me is a few hundred bucks a year between insurance, registration and taxes.

My only thinking is the more I mod my Mountaineer, the more the chance somethings going to break and it would be nice not to have to worry about getting it fixed ASAP.

I am leaning on keeping it......thanks! Also, the low mileage doesn't gain that much in $$$ value either.

Cross your fingers, the Governer is talking about eliminating property tax on vehicles.

All depends on the family situation....I mean:

Got bills to pay?

Are both vehicles fully paid for?

Got extra money for toys?

Need a back up.....in case something breaks w/ other vehicle.....what am I gonna do?

How many vehicles are too many for your household?

Aloha, Mark

PS....My wife wouldn't allow me to have two trucks......but, she went with the truck and SUV (Explorer) idea. ;)

DeathsArrow said:
Cross your fingers, the Governer is talking about eliminating property tax on vehicles.

i'm crossing mine!

Back