97 with tape player keeps spitting tape out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 with tape player keeps spitting tape out

XL97

Reaction score
City, State
Elko, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XL
I have an 97 XL with the Tape player. It was working great (i use a tape adapter to play my phone) but all of the sudden it will switch sides, then back and after it does this a few times it will eject the tape. I've tried cleaning the slot and the tape, tried winding the wheels back on the tape adapter. But its very annoying because I cannot play my music. Any ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That happened to me, but mine wasn't broken, my 2 year old liked to put coins in the tape deck. If you happen to let little devils play in your truck I would check to see if anything foreign has been introduced to the tape deck

"I have an 97 XL with the Tape player."

Whats a tape player?

Brings back memories. Sounds like the rollers in the deck are binding or the adapter is worn out. I used to clean tape heads and rollers with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-tip.

I have an 97 XL with the Tape player. It was working great (i use a tape adapter to play my phone) but all of the sudden it will switch sides, then back and after it does this a few times it will eject the tape. I've tried cleaning the slot and the tape, tried winding the wheels back on the tape adapter. But its very annoying because I cannot play my music. Any ideas? Thanks

Probably the adapter. If the wheels in the adapter get stiff the deck thinks it is at the end of the tape and will try and change sides. They have to keep spinning freely to work as a substitute tape. Just get a new adapter.

Back