97 XLT Stuck In Driveway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stkline81

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6 OHV
I'm currently stuck in my driveway in 2 feet of snow. The 4H & 4L lights both comes on on the dash when selected & I hear a click a "clunk" but the front tires don't spin at all. Any suggestions?

Also sometimes only one back tire will spin. Is this normal?

Update

I went back out and had someone look at the tires spin while I stepped on the gas. The front wheels spin in 4H and Auto but 4L will not engage - this is when only one back wheel will spin at a time on either side. Any ideas?

Well if its properly engaged it the first question. If your tires are have decent you should be able to move up and down the driveway working your way out. But most 4WD systems don't fully engage unless you can drive it 5-10 ft for the gears to engage and the 4WD low is a different animal. I am not sure of you configuration (check the owners manual). Usually transmission in NEUTRAL and idle standing still, move the transfer case to low and it should show on the dash its in low. If not then it the gear may be stuck from lack of use especially if its like the early models with a control motor.

A normal 4WD will only drive one wheel in the front and at the back as well. If one wheel has lost traction it will spin it on that axle and same goes for the rear. So if you're really that stuck one wheel in the rear and one in the front can spin simulateously. Unless you have a opinional limited slip rear axle or locker installed.

You need to be in neutral to engage 4L.

Back