'98-01 SOHC 4.0L Compatible With '02-05 4.0LSOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98-01 SOHC 4.0L Compatible With '02-05 4.0LSOHC?

Reaction score
City, State
Hartville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Ranger FX4
Hey guys I am looking at buying an '02 Explorer with a blown up 4.0L SOHC. Junkyard engines are really expensive ($1500 for a good used one with 125,000 miles on it!). My plan was to find a donor '98-01 Ex. with a good engine for less than $1000, and swap the good engine from the donor into the '02. They are both 4.0L SOHC engines; My question is whether they can be swapped or not? I am sure the motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, etc are slightly different from generation to generation, but the block, bell housing pattern, cylinder heads, etc are essentially the same? If so, I could swap them and theoretically, it should work? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks

Andy

Check where you live for a place called pick n pull. They always have huge 50% off sales or if you get a rewards card get 10 or 20 percent off i believe. I almost pulled a whole new 2004 4.0 SOHC for about 700 bucks on the half off sale. But somebody beat me to it. If you give them the blown engine as a core it will make it cheaper. Check if one of them are close to you. They are in almost every state.. I think ones in Columbus Ohio..

Back