98 5R55E No codes 2/3 flair, other tests? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5R55E No codes 2/3 flair, other tests?

PeteinCalif

Reaction score
City, State
Moraga Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hello. 1998 4.0 sohc 4wd 5R55E with mild but consistant 2/3 flair. No stored codes Actron CP9145. Good engine breaking in manual low. Could this be the gasket on the seperator plate? Would the EPC be throwing a code? Any other thoughts? Test I could do? Thanks

Welcome to this forum! Did you see the sticky threads in the transmission section? Adjust the bands, replace the filter, fluid, valve body gaskets, boost valve, and end plugs with the Sonnax O ring design.

Hello. 1998 4.0 sohc 4wd 5R55E with mild but consistant 2/3 flair. No stored codes Actron CP9145. Good engine breaking in manual low. Could this be the gasket on the seperator plate? Would the EPC be throwing a code? Any other thoughts? Test I could do? Thanks

I had the mild, but as you noted consistant flare, change the original epc and the problem went away totally. I never recieved an error code either. My shifting flare started about a year ago or longer, cant remember.

The epc is not that exspensive and easy to change. I bought my epc off ebay for $42 or so from monster liquidators. I have a 97 5r55e 4x4 with 186k. I changed the epc at 184k or so.

Back