• Register Today It's free!

98 Eddie Bauer needs some work

poolguy435

Reaction score
City, State
Fairhaven, MA / Jackman,ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Hello all. First time poster but long time creaper. I have used this site as reference for a while and it is great.

I purchased my explorer used with 75K on it back in 2003. I have not really done much except new shocks(KYB), rotors(slotted & cross drilled) k&n. (It now has 123K)

1. The front end is really sloppy. It hits bumps on pavement really hard and on dirt roads it's like I have no suspension at all. And seams like it is harder to turn right than left. Is there a kit I can get to tighten it up and make it more on/off road capeable without breaking the bank? Bushings maybe:usa:?

2. I get a vibration or humm (goes away when I lift off the gas)from the rear end around 70-75 on the highway. When I am out on the dirt logging roads up in Maine it starts around 30 but only when I am going up a hill or really getting on it.

I use this truck more during the summer than the winter. I want to get it ready for the season. Any suggestions and help would be great.

I look forward to ready your replies.
Nigel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer also buzzes, at 45mph and at 60mph. There is an exaust leak after my converters, buzzes at 45, and an exaust leak in my down pipes, buzzes at 60.

The car does not make much noise at any other speed just 45 and 60.

My suspestion has also gone to ****. I will be spending 800 dollars on new springs, new shocks, new sway bar bushings, new tie rod ends.

For off road use, you might want to lift the truck to gain some ground clearance and clearance for larger tiers.

torsion twist to lift front end. may need new torsion springs if yours have alot of miles on them.

new leaves, add a leaf, and shackels to fit the rear end.

new shocks and bushings will tighten everything up.

Kits will charge you more money because all the material are in one package for you convenience. you could just spend half an hour shopping on line and get what you need.

Hey Nigel.
I am refitting a new-to-me 98 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with the SOHC v6. Driving around the potholes of Waltham Ma, here's some advice for your issues...

1. Replace the front shocks and tie rods. I figured out that the tie rod ends on mine "look" okay, but once I got under there they don't "feel" okay. The rubber is actually hardened and they are lose. These cause a rattle and some twitches when going over bumps.

2. The rumble/vibration at 70mph could be from the 5th shock being worn out, if you look for the threads on "5th shock" you'll find where it is and what it does. There is a thread with picks on how to change it.

In fairness, some folks aren't believers in the 5th shock, but my homework reveals this perspective is from driving 4x2 "trucks" on perfect California roads.

Have fun! Maybe I'll see you in the woods this summer in Maine.:exp:

welcome nigel

Thanks nemisonic for the advise. The potholes around New bedford are absoutly horrible!!! I did replace the front shocks over the summer but not the tie rods. I am going to check them out this weekend as long as it's not raing or snowing. I am going to check the fluid in the rear end as well. I read a thread from about a week ago that explains that process.

Back