hard shifting

mr.jay

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Ca. (916)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer V8 5.0L
~ 96' Explorer 5.0L V8 (152K) ~

......my transmission taking a nasty sit-down crap! Im almost 100% it is'nt my dreaded fear?! It has NO issue in reverse, NONE while in Park, NEVER has it slipped out of a gear. HOWEVER! While accelerating VERY quickly from 1st, it shifts a little HARD into 2nd (Automatic Trans). BUT! If i casually accelerate, theres NO issue at all. None of the other gears have ANY issue what-so-ever, they glide unoticably.

My conclusion? Drain a few Quarts and throw in Lucas Transmission Fluid to fix the Hard shifting.

Does anyone feel differently?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hard shift into 2nd gear

had the same problem. just got the parts from www.fordparts.com a week ago. i found out that the 1-2 shift acumulator was the culprit. when i got all the parts from ford - top brown spring, bottom pink spring, piston and piston retainer. i droped the tranny pan then took the 1-2- piston retainer off and out came the bottom spring, piston and the top spring. the bottom spring was broken in two, i put all new part back the way they came out. button everything back, added new mercon v trans fluid. trans is now shifting like new.:thumbsup: hope this helps

had the same problem. just got the parts from www.fordparts.com a week ago. i found out that the 1-2 shift acumulator was the culprit. when i got all the parts from ford - top brown spring, bottom pink spring, piston and piston retainer. i droped the tranny pan then took the 1-2- piston retainer off and out came the bottom spring, piston and the top spring. the bottom spring was broken in two, i put all new part back the way they came out. button everything back, added new mercon v trans fluid. trans is now shifting like new.:thumbsup: hope this helps

You did this with the trans in the truck still?

Do you think this would be the same problem if when shifting in to over drive I get a slip (feels like running over rumble strip) but if I let off the gas it will not do that. Thanks in advance

Do you think this would be the same problem if when shifting in to over drive I get a slip (feels like running over rumble strip) but if I let off the gas it will not do that. Thanks in advance

Mine as well as my friends 99 do this as well...the feeling of "going over rumble strips" is the torque converter shuddering when while the transmission shifts into overdrive (as I understand it, i'm definitely not a transmission expert lol). I've read that if you do a transmission flush and change the fluid with Mercon V that it'll fix this issue, but it didn't in my friends 99 :mad:. I have yet to do a flush on mine, but I read if a fluid flush doesn't fix the shuddering then you need a new torque converter :roll:

I had this problem last year. i changed trans filter, fluid with mercon v and added a bottle of lube gard for fords tranmission, and also changed the transfer case fluid with mercon v, no problem since. not sure if it was the transfer case or tranny.

I had this problem last year. i changed trans filter, fluid with mercon v and added a bottle of lube gard for fords tranmission, and also changed the transfer case fluid with mercon v, no problem since. not sure if it was the transfer case or tranny.

is yours the V8 with the 4r70w transmission?? I'm guessing it is...i'm glad to hear that changing the fluid stopped it, i'll have to do mine soon.

Back