98 Explorer XLT 4.0 Transfer case shift motor connection with 10 pins + 4 from transfer case??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer XLT 4.0 Transfer case shift motor connection with 10 pins + 4 from transfer case???

slick3d

Reaction score
City, State
Goshen, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer XLT
Could use some help, I have a 1998 Explore XLT 4.0 SOHC that I need to replace the transfer case shift motor, the connector has 10 pins plus 4 more from the transfer case, total of 14 pins. All the ones that I find online come with only 7 pins, I understand that I have to carry over the 4 from the transfer case but what about the remaining pins that are missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Shift motor connection.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could use some help, I have a 1998 Explore XLT 4.0 SOHC that I need to replace the transfer case shift motor, the connector has 10 pins plus 4 more from the transfer case, total of 14 pins. All the ones that I find online come with only 7 pins, I understand that I have to carry over the 4 from the transfer case but what about the remaining pins that are missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

View attachment 450751
You need too have the replacement motor with a rectangle connector and 14 pins.
You remove the red pin retainer to remove the 4 pins. I use a round barrel pin removal tool, too release pins.
Note before you start , mark down the wire colors in there positions.
When I looked at your option for the vehicle you listed, they only list a 7 pin motor. Something is wrong?

You need too have the replacement motor with a rectangle connector and 14 pins.
You remove the red pin retainer to remove the 4 pins. I use a round barrel pin removal tool, too release pins.
Note before you start , mark down the wire colors in there positions.
When I looked at your option for the vehicle you listed, they only list a 7 pin motor. Something is wrong?
Thank you for the response, that is what I'm running into, can't find a 10 pin connector, no one seems to have them. I'm going to try ordering it from Vintage Ford parts or Green Sales Co., the one listed directly from Ford,
part # XL2Z7G360AA. Could it be that the newer motors don't need all the connections?
I don't know.
If you don't mind me asking, were did you get the round barrel pin removal tool?

Thank you for the response, that is what I'm running into, can't find a 10 pin connector, no one seems to have them. I'm going to try ordering it from Vintage Ford parts or Green Sales Co., the one listed directly from Ford,
part # XL2Z7G360AA. Could it be that the newer motors don't need all the connections?
I don't know.
If you don't mind me asking, were did you get the round barrel pin removal tool?
Barrel pin removal tool -- from Amazon , cheap price.
You need all the wires. Two wires are power and ground, neutral switch goes thru. Clutch coils.
You need a wire diagram for your car.
Mark down the wire colors and their arrangement.
Take pictures first. I had a tough time loosen the top bolt. I first installed the new motor , then move over the pins, one by one. Re-installed the red wire retainer. I did not get a new retainer with my new motor.
That part number looks good , 16 pin, XL2Z7G360AA.
Looks the same as my 95 motor connector. Choices are round or rectangle. Pretty straight forward replacement.

Screenshot_20240319-092729.png

You could also bench rebuild your shift motor?

The 98 explorer is control trac 4wd there are two speed sensors in addition to the shift motor, that may account for your 4 “other”‘wires

You need all the wires. Two wires are power and ground, neutral switch goes thru. Clutch coils.
Take pictures first. I had a tough time loosen the top bolt. I first installed the new motor , then move over the pins, one by one. Re-installed the red wire retainer. I did not get a new retainer with my new motor.
Looks the same as my 95 motor connector. Choices are round or rectangle. Pretty straight forward replacement.

View attachment 450772

Thank you for all your advise, I will be following all your instructions.
Dennis

You could also bench rebuild your shift motor?

The 98 explorer is control trac 4wd there are two speed sensors in addition to the shift motor, that may account for your 4 “other”‘wires
Thank you for the suggestion but it's my daily driver and I have never rebuilt a shift motor before, I wouldn't know were to start, lol.
From what I can see, the additional wires are coming right from the shift motor itself into the rectangular electrical connection. The other 4 wires are coming from the transfer case into the connector. Ford no longer makes this shift motor and their affiliated sites don't have them either. I'm going to try aftermarket replacements for this, part # XL2Z7G360AA, and see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestion but it's my daily driver and I have never rebuilt a shift motor before, I wouldn't know were to start, lol.
From what I can see, the additional wires are coming right from the shift motor itself into the rectangular electrical connection. The other 4 wires are coming from the transfer case into the connector. Ford no longer makes this shift motor and their affiliated sites don't have them either. I'm going to try aftermarket replacements for this, part # XL2Z7G360AA, and see what happens.
Look at rockauto. 95 explorer. Your part state

ENA Transfer Case Shift Motor Compatible with Ford Mercury 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 Explorer Mountaineer V6 V8 4.0L 5.0L Replacement For 600-803 F77Z7G360AA XL2Z7G360AA​

Look at rockauto. 95 explorer. Your part state

ENA Transfer Case Shift Motor Compatible with Ford Mercury 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 Explorer Mountaineer V6 V8 4.0L 5.0L Replacement For 600-803 F77Z7G360AA XL2Z7G360AA​

thank you, will check it out.

View attachment 450772
I think I found the answer, here is a video from 1aauto dealing with all the extra pins/ connections.

I was looking at this all wrong, the shift motor only come with 7 pins, all the rest are from the vehicle and must be transferred over to the new electrical connector. I'm always learning something new, lol

I think I found the answer, here is a video from 1aauto dealing with all the extra pins/ connections.

I was looking at this all wrong, the shift motor only come with 7 pins, all the rest are from the vehicle and must be transferred over to the new electrical connector. I'm always learning something new, lol

Sharing my experience in order to possibly help someone out.
I got the blinking 4x4 high and low dashboard lights, checked the selector switch on the dash for power, all good, decided to replaced the transfer case shift motor, it's the original one from 1998, pain in the ass transferring the additional electrical pins from the old connector to the new one. I remembered reading somewhere that 99% chance that it would be the shift motor.
Started the engine and still the 4x4 lights were blinking, disconnect the negative cable from the battery for about 30 minutes, reconnected, started the truck and wala! no more blinking 4x4 lights and my 4x4 is working again.
I'm ready for other things that may need to be replaced on this 26 yr old truck.

Back