• Register Today It's free!

98 limited awd probs

joker77_2005

Reaction score
City, State
bakerton,wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0limited/2000 4.0xlt
on my 98 explorer limited 5.0 awd ,i tend to get stuck in the snow alot...front wheels dont asist me any.new tires all the way around.when i put it in park it doesnt roll.so what can i check or need to replace to fix my problem
thanks
mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what tires do you have? how deep is the snow? any lift? are all 4wheels spinning? do you have limited slip rear diff?

Si

See if it has a front driveshaft installed. Or get a V6 ;-)

You better make sure the fronts are even turning. I have 2 AWD's and you can't get them stuck.

i have new wrangler 235-75-15 tires,yes the front shaft is installed.
in a foot of snow when i get stuck both rear wheels spin while the fronts do nothing.
i dont beat on it and dogg it out,i avg 16-17 mpg
all the searching i did all i cud find was something about putting it in park and see if it can be moved will show a coupler problem in transfer case,,,mine wont budge in park
mike

The truck won't "roll" even with a bad VC, it will slowly creep if parked on a hill. By slowly, I mean almost too slow to notice while watching it.

I tried my AWD in the recent snowstorm here and it did great. It sure sounds like your VC has a problem.

the vc.......is that the coupler in the transfer case?

Yeah, viscous coupling.

ok,i have a tranfer case out of a 2000 explorer 4.0 xlt.......wud the vc be the same?

As far as AWD goes, every time I've thought I was stuck, I just gave the ole 5.0 some "get up and go" juice and I free myself. With the amount of snow we've had lately and the areas I've had to drive I'm actually surprised even with my AWD that I haven't gotten stuck. I'm running year old stock sized Grabber HTS tires.

ok,i have a tranfer case out of a 2000 explorer 4.0 xlt.......wud the vc be the same?

negative. 4L uses an eletronically controlled 4WD system, your AWD is a mechanical full time single speed system. You wil need a VC from a 98-01 AWD t-case.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the VC was the same in all V8 models, 96-2001.

ok i'm confused... if you have the t-case out of a 4.0L V6 (i didn't even know you could attach one of those to a V8 auto trans and i know the V6 trans will not fit a V8) then you don't have a VC or AWD. the 4.0L transfer case doesn't use a VC. do you have a knob on the dash to select/engage 4WD?

or are you just saying you have a spare t-case out of a 4.0L? if you can find a t-case out of an F150, that will work and give you true manual 4WD with the V8 trans?

ok i'm confused... if you have the t-case out of a 4.0L V6 (i didn't even know you could attach one of those to a V8 auto trans and i know the V6 trans will not fit a V8) then you don't have a VC or AWD. the 4.0L transfer case doesn't use a VC. do you have a knob on the dash to select/engage 4WD?

or are you just saying you have a spare t-case out of a 4.0L? if you can find a t-case out of an F150, that will work and give you true manual 4WD with the V8 trans?

I think he's just saying he has a spare 4L case lying around.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the VC was the same in all V8 models, 96-2001.

You could very well be right but I'm so used to a lot of parts being changed in 98 when I shop for my 01 I shoot for 98 and up to be safe.

Back