98 Mountaineer, PATS help. Car wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mountaineer, PATS help. Car wont start

mizestang

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport SOHC
So, all of a sudden my truck wont start. Turn the key on, dont hear the fuel pump buzz. Went through the pain and 100.00 to replace the FP. Still wont start. Noticed the theft light flashing rapidly when key was on. Still wont start. Can anyone lead me into the right direction? How do I disable the theft system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel like a azz!! After 4 hours of replacing the fuel pump, I found out I need the original key and that resets the security system. DOH!!! My wife had the keys and I was using the spare. Who knew???? Well, lesson learned. READ THE NET before tearing it down.

:(

....Well, $100 dollars hurts....But the feeling you got...That's priceless...:D

...At least it was an easy fix...:biggthump

Oh it came with a price. One busted knuckle, skinned thumb, few cuts. Lesson learned!;)

I feel like a azz!! After 4 hours of replacing the fuel pump, I found out I need the original key and that resets the security system. DOH!!! My wife had the keys and I was using the spare. Who knew???? Well, lesson learned. READ THE NET before tearing it down.

how did you reset? im having the same problem and have both original and space. come to think of it ive been using spare while troubleshooting.

if you can share when u say "reset" that would be appreciated. or if anyone else knows ???

from ford, the PATS is a non jumping or bypass system. the PATS computer is behind the glovebox, box and airbag need to come out. inside the PATS, all electronics are top soldered. A cheap way of making a connection. If there is even if there is a hair line crack, it will be a nogo on a start.. Mine happened in cold weather, with just a little heat the metal expanded and made good contact, car will start.. just buy a new PATS and reprogram the key..Its a plug and play PATS

ducrnd...would you say it's possible to transfer an ignition cylinder w/factory key and it's corresponding PATS module (from behind the airbag) from a donor Explorer and the PCM on the vehicle that it would be transferred to would recognize it without having to reprogram? I've been trying to get a definitive answer to this question for some time and nobody can confirm for certain.

You need the original key to replace the fuel pump

ducrnd...would you say it's possible to transfer an ignition cylinder w/factory key and it's corresponding PATS module (from behind the airbag) from a donor Explorer and the PCM on the vehicle that it would be transferred to would recognize it without having to reprogram? I've been trying to get a definitive answer to this question for some time and nobody can confirm for certain.
Oohhhh, im not sure.

Darn...another dead end...lol

I'd even be willing to donate the parts if someone out there felt like they wanted to help further the knowledge base of these vehicles. I just don't want to risk screwing up my truck's PATS system by giving it a try. Maybe someone has a running Explorer that is headed for the JY for whatever reason and is willing to give it a try? Anyone?

Oohhhh, im not sure.

there are 3 PATS computers on these explorers. 1 behind the airbag, 2 behind left rear interior cargo area,3 behind firewall.? 3rd location not 100%
read that somewhere. I think I paid 25 dollars from a junkyard for the pats airbag one. just need to reprogram the key. and its a stupid process. turn key on wait 5 seconds, turn off . turn on again wait 3 sec turn off.. I found how to do it on youtube. but yo ucan use your factory key..

Hmmm...see I thought the igniter ring on the ignition cylinder read the key's code and relayed it to the PATS module behind the air bag and, if confirmed to be the correct key, the module sent a signal to the PCM allowing the vehicle to start. The question was whether the PCM had to be programmed to the PATS module to receive a signal...or, whether the PCM could receive a signal from any PATS module. Wasn't aware there were two other PATS computers that played a role. Guess this is a little more involved than I thought. BTW...I HATE PATS because I think it's unnecessarily complicated to understand it's inter-workings.

Hmmm...see I thought the igniter ring on the ignition cylinder read the key's code and relayed it to the PATS module behind the air bag and, if confirmed to be the correct key, the module sent a signal to the PCM allowing the vehicle to start. The question was whether the PCM had to be programmed to the PATS module to receive a signal...or, whether the PCM could receive a signal from any PATS module. Wasn't aware there were two other PATS computers that played a role. Guess this is a little more involved than I thought. BTW...I HATE PATS because I think it's unnecessarily complicated to understand it's inter-workings.

I agree, my problem was the one behind the airbag.Like i said, the connection are half assed cheap,My brother downloaded like 45 pages from ford on how to test the different PATS computer on the car. once we figured out which one, he took it out and opened it up and resoldered all the connections. . he has they type of equipment needed. everything is so thin and tiny in there. You can always check ford for a new pats part , but I got mine out of a JY.

Back