99 EB 5.0, rear main seal. How difficult? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 EB 5.0, rear main seal. How difficult?

yeahokay

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer EB 5.0
For one person to do start to finish how difficult is it to get to the rear main seal on a 99 5.0 AWD? This would be in a grarage with no lift and no help. It has a small leak that I have noticed while doing other work, im not sure how much its actually leaking since it lands on the cat.

From what I can tell I need to remove the drive shafts, pull the transmission, it does not look like the front diff needs to be removed.

Just trying to determine if I can do this myself or not, or pay the $1k it will probably cost for a shop to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve got 250 miles on it since I changed the oil and it’s still max full. I’m going to try some kind of stop leak first. It can’t be more than a very slow drip. So maybe I’ll get lucky.

Personally, I wouldn’t do all that work for a slow leak/weep. Now, if the tranny is giving you issues or is living on borrowed time? Sure. Pull it, do the main seal, send the trans out for rebuild, etc.

There are products that will help, some must be added at each oil change in order to keep working.

yeah, I think its a real slow leak, the bottom is covered in sludge so I guess its been going on for a long while. Transmission is solid here. So stop leak it is.

Possible that it's a pan gasket leak? Or even valve cover?

you can make a simple tin shield to deflect the drip if it’s causing an oil burning smell when it hits the cat

The rms “seepage” is extremely common in these 5.0 explorers even a brand new seal can weep. The placement of the cat does not help (heat rises)
Valve cover leaks can also appear to be the rms, so can the oil pan. Oil pan leaks common on these too. Follow the wetness up to the highest spot that is typically your leak

Replacing the seal is straightforward I use two drywall screws to pull the old seal them clean clean and add some anaerobic sealant to the outside of the new seal and press it in. National seal is the way to go or whatever comes w your felpro engine gasket kit

Possible that it's a pan gasket leak? Or even valve cover?
Pan could be leaking, but it looks higher, its not the valve cover gaskets in this case as there is no oil on the back of the heads or above the exhaust manifolds. Pan might be worse in this case being AWD id have to pull the engine to do it correctly :D. I think im good for now going to try som oil stop leak ill pick it up this weekend and see if it might stop.

Back