• Register Today It's free!

99 expo 4x4 rear main seal

jkufen

Reaction score
City, State
North Charleston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4x4
I am going to replace the clutch in my 99 explorer 4x4 4.0 and I have seen there is oil splashed all over the bottom of the engine and trans. I assume its the rear main seal so I am going to replace it while I have the trans out for the clutch. Is there any advice on changing the seal. I have been told I need to drop the oil pan and to do that I will have to unbolt the engine from the mounts and raise it up several inches. Anyone have any experience doing this that can give me some tips? I have never done one but I am going to give it a try. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need to mess with the oil pan. Remove the transmission, clutch assembly, and flywheel and you'll have a clear shot at the rear main seal.

Do you have the OHV or SOHC engine? I think both are the same, but my experience is with the OHV engine only.

The old seal came out pretty easily using a small prybar, being careful not to damage the sealing surfaces. Others have used sheet metal screws threaded into the old seal and using this to pull it out. Clean up the sealing surfaces with some fine (000) steel wool. I think scotchbrite would work as well.

If you buy the Ford seal, it's a rubber type seal and comes with a repair sleeve. IMO if the crank surface looks OK, don't mess with the sleeve. I had to redo this job 3 times because of that damn sleeve - the previous owner had installed the sleeve upside down which I assumed was correct, so I did the same, which destroyed my seal twice.

The teflon sleeves are supposed to be more durable and forgiving of surface imperfections compared to the rubber ones. They must be installed dry though (no oil), upon first startup they coat the mating surface with a layer of teflon and this can only be done if the seal is dry. Even though I had to pry off an old repair sleeve which definitely did no favors to my crank surface, the teflon seal only weeps a little bit of oil, a small enough amount that its not measurable on the dipstick.

So - IMO - get the old seal out, clean up the mating surfaces, if the surfaces look good and feel smooth, get a teflon seal and put it in. If its gouged up, get a seal with the repair sleeve.

explorerrearmainsealset_zps51fabf02.jpg

This is the seal I got. Not exactly sure the material its made of maybe rubber? I was under the impression that the sleeve would be a metal ring around the outside not the inside. I have never done one so i really didnt know what to expect. I am glad that you told me I didnt have to raise the engine and drop the oil pan because that was a whole other battle I didnt want to fight. I have the OHV engine. Will the new seal press in or will I have to tap it in?

Can i use the seal without the metal sleeve if its not needed?

Back