99 Eddie Bauer w/moon roof map light replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Eddie Bauer w/moon roof map light replacement

Mark Loudermilk

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have searched and not found this but please point me to it if there is one. I need to repair the ribbon wire to one of the map light bulbs. I want to remove the console to work on it. I searched for videos and only found one w/o moon roof and the long over head console. that one has a screw in the back in the garage door opener compartment and you pull the front down. Don't see any screws on mine. The moon roof control is where the garage opener is on the others. Does it just pull down? Don't want to break anything. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what else might be holding it up, so, be careful, but... On the sunroof equipped models, the aft end of the overhead console is held up by he sunroof trim..

I'm not sure what else might be holding it up, so, be careful, but... On the sunroof equipped models, the aft end of the overhead console is held up by he sunroof trim..
There are two clips on the forward end, pretty stiff but will come out ok. pull the back first and then the front. hope that helps

Thx I wondered what held the back and it does go under the trim. I knew there were two clips on the front. Thx again.

id like to see your ribbon repair.

I picked up a whole used unit as my compass and temp failed ($26 on ebay) be glad to send the balance along to you for the postage.

I picked up a whole used unit as my compass and temp failed ($26 on ebay) be glad to send the balance along to you for the postage.
My com[ass and temp are not working either. I saw a video saying there are two resistors that the connections corrode and you can resolder them. I am at zip 92583, SoCal, would gladly take it. Let me know the amount.

My com[ass and temp are not working either. I saw a video saying there are two resistors that the connections corrode and you can resolder them. I am at zip 92583, SoCal, would gladly take it. Let me know the amount.

It's not that the resistors corrode. They get hot and crack their solder joints. Easy fix with a fine-tip soldering iron. I've repaired the displays on 2 of my Explorers so far. They've been working perfectly for several years since the repair.

Hi, Mark, I will be using the parts that work so you have no need for my bad ones. Thanks for the reply and good luck with your EX, Stretch

It's not that the resistors corrode. They get hot and crack their solder joints. Easy fix with a fine-tip soldering iron. I've repaired the displays on 2 of my Explorers so far. They've been working perfectly for several years since the repair.
thanks i will give it a try

Back