'99 EX Inst Panel - How many bulbs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 EX Inst Panel - How many bulbs?

LuMax

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 "Eddie B" V8 AWD
For the past 12 months I've been putting up with very dim background lighting in my center instrument panel and my left turn signal indicator bulb burned out. I've already found and read a couple of threads on how to R&R the instrument panel so I got that covered, and I know that it requires type 161 and type 194 bulbs, I just don't know how many.

I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon so I would like to replace all of the 10+ year old bulbs at once. Although the LED conversions I have seen are pretty cool, I think I will just stick with standard bulbs.

Anyone have any idea on how many of each type I will need?

'99 Explorer EB V8 AWD.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably only need the 5 illumination bulbs (194). the rest never burn out.

I just replaced mine. I think there were 6 bulbs for the lighting, plus however many indicator lights there are.

You can get a pack of 10 style 194 bulbs from Napa for cheaper than anywhere else. Forgot how much, but Sylvania Long Life bulbs aren't cheap.

Thanks guys. I'll post a photo of the back of it tomorrow once I finish the project.

I got a 10pack of EiKo 194s from Murrays for less than $5 for my Mounty, I was pretty upset because when I did my Explorer cluster I paid way more for packs of 2.

But it is 6 for illumination.
And gee, I would have to say more than 10 for the other indicator lights... maybe like 15-20, but don't quote me on that. I remember seeing alot of bulb sockets back there, but that's all.

I can confirm that there are 6 illumination bulbs and that they are #194s. Suggest strongly that you replace them all at the same time.

Lumax: Can you confirm that the smaller indicator bulbs are #161? If not, what are they? The stealership charged me $11 for one indicator bulb + bulb holder. I needed to replace my CkEng bulb to get inspected, so I bought it before I realized that: 1) I had a "spare" in slot for the 4WD indicator (mine is 2WD) and 2) I could buy just the bulbs and replace them.

Yes the small ones are 161s.
I just finished and fired up the truck and now the two in the center of the cluster are not coming on. Grrrrrr. Before it was the outside of the cluster that was dark.

I changed all 6 but 2 of them I got at Pep Boys which already had the black bases attached, the other 4 were from Napa. No way to tell which ones went where but I can probably guess. Now I have to take the entire thing apart all over again. @#$^&@(*%#

Bummer!! You have to tighten the sockets down until they "click" into position. As you have no doubt figured out by now, try the lights before you get it all buttoned up again. :(

I definitely tightened them to the 'click', I think the black bases of the Pep Boys ones may not be compatible with my Ford cluster. Possibly the contacts just don't line up properly. Yes, next time I will test it, didn't think it would be necessary since all I was doing was swapping out 6 bulbs.

which already had the black bases attached, the other 4 were from Napa.

You don't usually need to replace the base for the bulb only the bulb itself. They pop out of the base with a little persuasion and you simply slide a new 194 style bulb in its place.

Yes I am aware of that.
I initially went to Napa to buy one of the 10-packs which they did not have in stock.
They also only had 2 of the 2-packs in stock so I bought them.
Pep Boys was the next closest store, they only had the ones with the black bases in stock.
I probably should have pulled those bulbs out and put them in my bases.
Lesson learned.

Yeah taking the dash apart is a bit of a pain. I've left mine halfway dismantled for months on end just to avoid doing it again so I feel your pain. Definitely test it before buttoning everything up by plugging in the connectors.

Instrument Illumination/Indicators Bulbs

There are a total of 6 illumination(#194) and 17 indicator(#161) bulbs according to the Ford Explorer manual that I have on disk.
I'm about to change them all out in my '97 XLT.
Thanks for the tips and I'll let u know how it turns out!

There are a total of 6 illumination(#194) and 17 indicator(#161) bulbs according to the Ford Explorer manual that I have on disk.
I'm about to change them all out in my '97 XLT.
Thanks for the tips and I'll let u know how it turns out!

Thank you so much! Was looking all over for specific types and quantities so I can replace ALL the bulbs in one afternoon. Kudos to you good sir, have a great day! :D

Back