99' Exp. Sport, no charge from alternator! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99' Exp. Sport, no charge from alternator!

poopnut2

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Sport
So my battery light came on a couple days ago. Went to autozone and had the battery and alternator tested. Battery was fine, but the alternator showed to not be charging the battery. Bought a new alternator and put it in. Battery light went off, but the voltometer still showed to be low. Well, the next day, I was driving and my ABS light came on, then my tach stopped, then my lights dimmed, and my car finally died a couple of minutes later. I asked a few people and they said if the battery had died, then the alternator wouldn't charge it. Replaced the battery tonight, and the alternator still shows not to be charging the battery.

Someone told me it could be a bad relay plug, but after searching a few parts sites, I can't find a relay switch that has anything to do with the alternator.

I did a search on this site, and found a couple of similar threads, but none with a "fixed" reply. So far I've spent $200 on a new alternator and battery with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is an alternator fuse in the interior fuse box and an alternator relay in the power distribution box. Scroll down to the appropriate diagrams in the attached link.. http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke..._us/0900823d/80/0b/a8/f3/0900823d800ba8f3.jsp

Thanks for the reply.

Well, after a lot of cussing and not knowing what was going on. I found a screw loose.

It was in my head.

My dumbass didn't plug the main plug into the alternator when I installed it. I installed it at night, and didn't really think to check it until this morning.:confused:

:thumbsup: Thank you for the update.....BTW, It take a real MAN to admit to his mistakes.

Aloha, Mark

For future reference, if the battery has lost it's charge because the alternator didn't charge it, it doesn't mean that the battery is bad. You simply need to plug it into a wall charger and put some power into it before putting it back in the car. Keep in mind I'm assuming the battery is in good condition, if the alternator died and the battery is 5 years old then it would be a good idea to replace both.

For future reference, if the battery has lost it's charge because the alternator didn't charge it, it doesn't mean that the battery is bad. You simply need to plug it into a wall charger and put some power into it before putting it back in the car. Keep in mind I'm assuming the battery is in good condition, if the alternator died and the battery is 5 years old then it would be a good idea to replace both.

I bought the explorer used in april of 05'. I have no clue how old the battery was. So now I have a new 130amp alternator and a new battery. Should be good for a while.:thumbsup:

Back