'99 Explorer 5.0 won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer 5.0 won't start.

Alex from GA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
Twice in the past week our truck wouldn't start. The first time I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it started. This morning I went to the Dr and when I got out it wouldn't start again and my can of starting fluid didn't squirt. I called my wife and had her bring another can but in the mean time I changed the fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood and it started reluctantly, it sputtered at first until I put some pedal to it. I don't think that is the problem. I got it home and checked the codes, there were none. I'd say fuel filter but it runs good at high speed. If there were no spark there would be a code so I assume it's fuel related. It's run perfectly since I acquired it last year. Can anyone help? Thanks.

First thought is that you are losing the fuel pressure when idle. Try turning the key to RUN several times and holding for 5 seconds each. Each time the pump should run for 2-3 seconds bringing the fuel rail up to pressure. Might listen to verify that something is moving like the pump. Then try starting it.

I've been doing that and it still won't start. I can't hear the pump over the beeps when turning the key on so I don't know if it's running.

Back