'99 Explorer A/C keeps cycling. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer A/C keeps cycling.

clat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 sport v6
'99 explorer a/c cmprssor on/off continuously; mechanic says the freon level is good; can and how DO i bypass the low press cycling switch to see if the cmprssor will behave...also heard from a scottykilmer.com utube that i can bypass the a/c computer by putting an a/c thermostat directly in line w/ the cmprssor...comments???

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the A/C & heater section. The switch is a basic on/off pressure controlled switch. You have to connect a manifold gauge to the low pressure side to take a reading. Bypassing the switch is not recommended since it's designed to open the circuit if the system is low on freon.

You mean how it clicks on and off during idle?

If so, mine does that too. Its normal, bit of a trip out with how much it affects the RPMs.

How long does it stay engaged before disengaging?

And does the system cool the truck? At idle and with 80 and under ambient temp, my Explorer Sport will cycle the compressor every 10-20 secs...As the ambient temp goes up, the cycle time gets longer...

My vent temps stay around 38-45 F depending on the outside temps...Since you don't know what the high side pressures are, I would look at maybe a fan clutch not pulling enough air or a condensor/radiator core that needs cleaning out if the system is cycling faster than 10-20 secs...

Back