99 Ford Ranger engine to a 2004 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Ranger engine to a 2004 Ford Explorer

Evelyn Rapp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer 4x4
Have a question, hope someone can help. We have a 99 Ford Ranger EFI 4.0 L engine that we are wondering if it will interchange in a 2004 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 L SOHC motor? The Explorer has bad timing chains and we thought there was just one in the Explorer but people are telling us that there are 2. Read somewhere that there are 4 so we have no clue. Any help will be appreciated, thanks:confused2:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are 2 totally different engines

Nope. You need a 4.0 sohc

Explorer Evelyn,
what motor is in the ranger, is it the 4.0, does the motor bay, and air intake appear to be the same?!
There is the 4.0 sohc, and 4.0 ohv.. Both are EFI.. The differences between the 4.0 years are the sensors that are all over the motor..

I'm also currently looking for the interchange and differences in design, we have an '01 ST 4.0 sohc that just lost a timing cassette and I had the chance to peek under the hood of a '11 Ranger 4.0 sohc, I could tell that the wiring plugs for the sensors ARE 100% different, however I did not see anything visible preventing me from swappin enough sensors, and parts to be able to use the '11 4.0 into our '01 ST..

I'll update when I have more accurate info for you!!

Back