99 XLT. Driver's side power seat is not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 XLT. Driver's side power seat is not working.

fcorey

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Cayman
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hello,

I recently acquired a 99 Ford Explorer XLT. The power seats do not work and the previous owner was a short female and the current position of the Driver's seat is too far forward for me. None of the power seat control buttons seem to do anything. The power windows and power sunroof work fine so I would assume the Fuse is fine as the Power Windows, Sunroof and Seat are all the same.

I live on a Caribbean island and saltwater corrosion is a common problem with vehicles out here. It's common place for power seats to stop working on all types of vehicles. Could this simply be a problem of the wiring connector being corroded and if so how can I check this?

Any help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reach under the back of the seat bottom. There will be a small gray connector affixed towards the rear of the seat bottom, that is the power feed for the seat.

Thanks Joe,

I purchased some electrical spray cleaner and a multimeter. When I disconnected the grey connector sure enough it had green corrosion. I cleaned it out as best as I could then sprayed the connectors and then tried the multimeter in the connector and the light did not turn on and also verified the power seats still do not work. I've also confirmed that the passenger power seat does not work as well.. Anything else I can try?

Actually- try my junkyard battery idea:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285810

If that works, you have a problem with the power getting to your seats. If it doesn't work, you have a problem with the seat wiring harness or the motors...

If you're only going to move it where you need it and leave it, that could be an easy fix for now... :thumbsup:

Back