'99 XLT with 3" Body Lift... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 XLT with 3" Body Lift...

Here is a pic of my 1999 XLT 4X4 with a 3" Peformance Products body lift, Warrior shackles and 1" Torrsion Twist. I am running 33x12.5R15s on American Racing Tailgunners in 15x8 size.
site1045.jpg
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep I got the directions from Matts site. It looks doable but Id need some help from a friend or shop. But yea im sure these BFG ATs will be just fine but the whole point is too put some 33x12.5 Muds on similar to what you have.. Or 285/75-16 would work but wouldnt look as cool :) right now im just getting an idea... The parts isnt the problem. I found the PA 3" kit for $117 cheap. Hehe its the labor. Plus I have to relocate my Manik brush guard unless i ditch it...

thx..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

did you fit those 33's on your stock rims??? 15x7 or what r they.
By the way nice rig

Splashman, are you saying the bumper brackets on the Performance Accessories 3" Ranger 98-00 body lift fit perfect on your explorer? I have a 98 sport, do you think it would fit perfectly on mine?

The front bumper brackets worked on all the Xs that we put lifts on. We did 1/97, 2/98s, 1/99 and a 2001 (all sports except for my 99). The rear brackets have to be flattened and new hols drilled. You will also have to either takeoff your lower airdam on the front, or take the driving light bracketry off, because with the lift the lights will hit the flanges on the end of your front frame rails.

I got around that by cutting the plastic piece next to the driving light on the valence on the side towards the center of the vehicle. I also notched out the metal frame for the driving lights to clear the ends of the frame. The casual observer won't notice. Unfortunately, I cut one of the plastic parts too short so I had to glue it back on. Doesn't look bad though, and I retained my valence and fog lights. The round lights might be a different set-up.

espnfreak,
sorry for the late response, i wasnt getting update emails on this post. yes, i was able to fit 32's with only torsion twist/shackles (no bodylift at first) but i had to do alot of molding trimming on the front wheel well.

thanks to Matt and everyone at the NOIEC, i now have a 2" body lift (Splashman's old bodylift) and the tires rarely rub. again, alot of the rubbing has to do with the wider wheels i have.
Rick H.

splash man how wide are your wheels and what is the offset thanks
SEAL

SplashMan, Jefe and others,

What kind of gas mileage have you guys noticed since you went from stock to 33's? I know that jefe is now running 35's, but I am thinking of doing the 3" body lift/TT/Warrior combo and am just curious as to what my mileage is going to do. I have a SOHC v6 xlt 4x4 (1998).
Thanks for any input!!!

SplashMan,

Would you mind measuring the distance between the top of your tire and the bottom of the wheel well (both front and rear)? I'm trying to get an idea of just how big your rig is. one other question...do you know if jefe has the same offset on his 15x8 wheels as you do? It appears that his tires stick out a little bit more than yours do. Just curious. Anyway, your rig is sweet and I hope that I can pull this thing off (my lift) pretty soon.

Tchau!!

The front is 6" from top of tread to fender(tread is an inch thick), the back is 7". I have 4" back spacing on mine... I posted the question on Jefe's thread. He has the add-a-leaf in the back and I don't so his should be almost 2"s taller from the tire to the wheelwell in the rear and pry an 1" in the front because I only turned mine up 1" and it settled to about 1/2".

Nice wheelin pics, the explorer looks good too!

SplashMan,

Are your warrior shackles model # 153? I did a search and found that #153 is the one I need. I'm getting ready to place the order and want to make sure I get the right shackles. Do you figure 4wheel parts is the best/least expensive place to get most of my stuff (body lift/shackles/wheels/tires)? Thanks again for all of your info.

Back