A/C blows only through the defrost vents. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C blows only through the defrost vents.

stangohr

Reaction score
City, State
aiken, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar
Hi folks,

I have a '97 Aerostar. A/C blows plenty cold by there is a problem with the mixing door and it blows only through the defroster vent. Thinking that it might be the dash switch I bought a new/used one. Problem is not there. Rather, there is no vacuum in one of the lines that connect to the dash selector.

I know this because I have a '94 Aerostar with the same dash. I pulled that one apart and had vacuum in the same line. Obviously there is a vacuum leak but before I take the dash apart and probably the evaporator box I'd thought I'd ask if any of you had similar probs.

Thanks!

Best,

Stangohr
Aiken, SC

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. Check the hard plastic vacuum line under the hood which is plugged into a check valve & servo piston. The plastic usually cracks near the rubber boot which is plugged into the servo piston. This area is between the blower motor housing assembly, and the engine area.

I've had a couple vacuum leaks at the connector to the vacuum motor right over the engine - looking under the hood, it's on the left of center. Try pulling the vacuum line off the vacuum motor. I test mine by turning off the engine and connecting the vacuum lines to a handheld vacuum pump. You should be able to suck a vacuum and hold it. If the lines aren't leaking, you could have a leak in the diaphragm of one of the vacuum motors - test them with the hand held vacuum pump too.

Back