A/C Compressor Clutch Hub - mounting bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor Clutch Hub - mounting bolt?

MINERALGSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Saleen XP8
So, the AC compressor clutch hub fell off my wife's 99 EB today. Luckily, it wedged itself on the frame rail, so we didn't lose it. We did however, lose the bolt that holds it on.

I have no issue replacing the clutch hub with a new one, but all the ones I've seen don't include that bolt.

Is Ford my only option?

Is there a spec for spacing this?

Obviously, it's like 100 degrees here, so getting it back to working condition is a high priority. The AC has worked flawlessly now for 250k miles.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picking up the bolt and shim kit from Ford today. Will have to research what the shim spec is.. haven't found it yet. I have my XP8 to look at so, worst case, I'll use the spacing from that one.

There's nothing special about the bolt. The shim kit is used to space the A/C clutch away from the compressor plate. Too much space the clutch may not engage or it may slip. Too little space it will drag when not engaged. The space is known as the "air gap". There's a feeler gauge spec, but I don't remember what it was. If your old clutch didn't lose it's original shims when it came off, you might not need to use the shim kit.

The bolt doesn't need to be all that tight (pretty small bolt) and you may need to use a A/C clutch holding tool to hold the pulley while you tighten the bolt. (you can borrow the tool at most auto parts stores). I'd use blue Loctite on the threads of the bolt to stop it from coming loose again.

Yep, the $2 bolt from Ford has blue thread lock on it

Ok, so as luck would have it, there was a shim in the plate. Put the bolt back in with the 1 shim and voila.. AC works again.

Back