A/c compressor leaking

tchno539

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4x4
Please help
I have a 91 explorer and i just replaced the compressor with a used one. Now after a few days i can see that a puddle of coolant was forming underneath it. I sprayed the soapy water and found that the leak was in the center of the compressor between the two parts. How hard is it to replace the o ring if it has one and can it be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a seal on the compressor shaft. I'm not really sure what it takes to replace it though as I've never had to (maybe someone else here will chime in). Just a warning though-- if there is a liquid coming out of your a/c system, it is not referigerant, it is oil. Do not try to use the system because if you run the compressor without oil you will destroy it.

Does the parts place that you got the compressor from have a DOA warranty? You might be able to take advantage of that.

No. the place i got it from had no warranties on it.

A compressor main seal is not an easy fix for a DIY'er. You have to pull the clutch and then the seal itself is somewhat problematic. In short I don't classify this as a DIY repair. I have all the right tools, and yet I'll still buy before I do a seal replacement. This is also a poster child why I do not recommend junkyard compressors. I'm sorry it has happened to you.

Thanks for the info. As of now it has stopped leaking so im gonna see if it starts leaking again and if it does ill have to buy a new compressor.

you need specialtool to reseal the ac compressure and if it is leaking in the center you will just need to replace the compressure

is it R-12 or R-134a? I know they sell cans of R-134a with "leak stop" in them. I dont really know a whole lot of A/C stuff, so i dont know how well that stuff works (or if it just causes more problems) Also, I dont know if the oil and freon are different parts, I thought that the oil is contained in the freon, but I could be wrong. Are you sure its leaking from the seal? You can also get some UV dye to inject in the system and use a black light to make sure it is coming from the seal itself.

Back