a/c compressor pulley replacement?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a/c compressor pulley replacement??

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
can just the pulley be replaced on the ford a/c compressor?
my a/c works just fine but the pulley is screaming and its very annoying.
is there a way to change just the pulley?
133,000 miles on this engine and everything is taking a dump on me here lately.
i thought it was my belt tensioner making noise but i replced that .its the a/c pump.now what?is replacing the whole pump the only option??thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can replace the pulley which is actually a clutch assembly. I have done some research and have found it to cost about $130. For about $230 you can get the whole A/C compressor. I am wondering if it is a better idea to just purchase the whole compressor with the clutch pulley assembly??? Seems like it would be worth the extra $100. By the way these are Rock Auto quotes for Motorcraft parts. I think I will do the compressor if you don't have to evac the whole system.

i can get the whole compressor new in box for 134.00 shipped from ebay .thats the way i,ll go .i been spraying it and thats been helping but its not a fix.

Question still stands is it a better idea to replace the clutch or the whole compressor???? My A/C works fine just the clutch is gone.

Or better yet I think I'm just going to replace the clutch hub. That's $30:thumbsup:

Back