konstan

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
Has anyone used one of those:

http://info.rockauto.com/Motorcraft/Detail.html?ye-57.gif

My a/c compressor does not seem to compress. The clutch kicks in, the low site pressure is good, the high side pressure does not rise. It stays about equal to the low side.

Is it repairable? I know new compressor will fix it... but has anyone repaired their old one?

If the compressor is bad, that kit's not going to help you, there's a lot more inside than just that. The kit is to replace the shaft seal, which would be the right fix if it was leaking refrigerant from where the shaft enters the compressor body (but was still working otherwise) Your best bet is a new/rebuilt compressor, they're not really a DIY rebuild item.

Is your orifice tube in place? (only other thing I can think of that would not let the pressure rise). If the compressor has failed, you will probably need to flush the system and replace the receiver drier as well to get all of the contamination out of the system.

Didn't know about the orifice tube. Will have to check on that

I'd check the orificate tube first. I've had two orifice tubes blow into the evaporator over the years.. the last one happend right when we put in the new evaporator. From now on I'm going to re-crimp the tube where the orifice tube goes.

We use a Variable orifice tube so the idle pressures are higher.. I'm not sure if thats what is helping blow them into the evaporator.

Before this last rebuild of the a/c system we had 2 orifice tube in the system.. The old one that blew in and the one I put in after wards..

~Mark

Back