A/C, Heat Issues

Steeda04SVT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB Explorer 5.0
Just started today and of course it's in the 30's and raining of all days. But I put the EATC to defrost and for some reason the A/C compressor is kicking on and off while I'm trying to get some heat. Any ideas. Plus its on my 97 Ex 4.0 SOHC.

a/c cycling in defrost mode (normal)

Just started today and of course it's in the 30's and raining of all days. But I put the EATC to defrost and for some reason the A/C compressor is kicking on and off while I'm trying to get some heat. Any ideas. Plus its on my 97 Ex 4.0 SOHC.

By now you probably already have your answer but just in case here goes.

It is normal for your a/c to cycle while in defrost. Two reasons, number one is that cooling the inlet air will remove moisture, same as in summer use when you see condensation water dripping from your evaporator drain, this makes the defrost far more effective by removing cabin moisture. Number two it is not good maintenance practice to leave compressors of any type especially a/c comps. sit idle for extend periods of time. To ensure good service life engineers go with this solution to "trick" owners into running their a/c occasionally during non-use season.

To get heat quicker just set to heat for a couple mins. before going to defrost.

Back