A/C help???? Compressor or whole system?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C help???? Compressor or whole system??

Weasels

Reaction score
City, State
Palmdale, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I bought my Explorer a couple months ago knowing that the a/c didnt work. So I took it and had an a/c test done on it. I was told that the entire system needed to be replaced. When I asked why, they told me that it was because the compressor had started to "shred" itself and metal fragments were in the system. This is why they said the whole system needed replacing. The only part truly bad is the compressor, but they said that everything else is "contaminated" with the metal fragments and that they would eventually get back into the compressor and blow it again. My question is does the whole system really need to be replaced or can I just put on a new compressor and filters? Wouldn't the filters catch the metal fragments? I would truly appreciate help on this matter, as I dont have the money for a whole stsyem and it is starting to get very hot now. Thanks in advanced.

you shoud post this in the ac forum. Not sure how the metal fragments could get past the condensor. unfortunatly between the compressor, condensor, possible lines and o rings, and all the labor, your probably looking at a pretty big bill

Well, the whole system would need to be taken apart and flushed anyway, so I'm not sure why they would need to replace the whole system. Although the orifice could have been clogged or damaged by the metal, and i'm not sure you could actually get all the metal cleaned out of the evaporator, and the accumulator may need to be removed to flush it properly.

Back