• Register Today It's free!

A/c problems

Ruben9237

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys I’m having a/c problems I just replaced the ac line that comes from the compressor because the old one was leaking condensor because there was a hole and compressor.I charged the system at work with the machine and still the compressor won’t kick on if I jumó the positive in the compressor it turns on and blows cold one of the mechanics at my job was saying maybe a ecu problem from when I did the engine swap but when I turn the a/c on the trucks idle goes up like of the compressor was running I also replaced the high pressure sensor I’m at a loss I don’t know what to check next and I’m tired of throwing parts at it guessing does anyone know what I could check or what it might be and is there anyway I could wire a switch to the compressor like a timer switch or something that will turn it on and off without the trucks system because something is not working any help is appreciated
(Originally was a 4.0 5speed 4x4 now it’s a 5.0 5speed 4x4)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wide open throttle relay turns ac off with high throttle . Youight check the wide open throttle relay and circuit.

@410Fortune might know if there is a wiring switch that needs to be performed

Do you know what relay is wot

Labeled as ac relay

Labeled as ac relay
Yeah I swapped out the a/c relay and it still won’t turn on

You sure the pressures are good? What numbers are you seeing with the compressor jumpered on?

You sure the pressures are good? What numbers are you seeing with the compressor jumpered on?
I dident check it in but if I remember right it was 90 low side and like 95 high side it called for 0.90 kg of free on

I dident check it in but if I remember right it was 90 low side and like 95 high side it called for 0.90 kg of free on
Those pressures are off. Were they checked at 1500 rpm. If I recall they should be 35 - 40 psi low and 275 psi ish high side. That's with an under hood temp of some where around 110 degrees F

Those pressures are off. Were they checked at 1500 rpm. If I recall they should be 35 - 40 psi low and 275 psi ish high side. That's with an under hood temp of some where around 110 degrees F
No I charged it with the truck off is it supposed to be running and is the clutch supposed to be engaged or can I just do it with the truck running

Our machine said to not have the truck running
No I charged it with the truck off is it supposed to be running and is the clutch supposed to be engaged or can I just do it with the truck running

Truck running, ac on max cold. While charging you'll hopefully hear the ac clutch kick in.
I’ll try it again with it running thanks man

Suggest you check out this web site before continuing.

Suggest you check out this web site before continuing.
Are those gauges the same as a machine because we have the machine it does it all automatically I just put in how much freeon the truck takes

Are those gauges the same as a machine because we have the machine it does it all automatically I just put in how much freeon the truck takes
Does your machine evacuate the system and then you set the required amount to dispense. ? If it does and all components are working correctly in the system your pressures should be in the ball park of what that site shows. Ambient temps have a bearing on the pressures. Hotter the weather the higher the pressures. Ford service manual states to run the engine at 1,500 rpm while charging.. I'm not familiar with the machine you are using.. Maybe it's a different process. I've always evacuated the system, waited a few minutes to even 45 minutes to see if the vacuum holds and then used the manifold gauges to charge. I use a digital scale to add 30 oz to my 01 Sport. Using the manifold gauges ensures the pressures are correct and all components are working correctly.

Pressures with the compressor off are just static pressures. They’ll tell you if there is ANY liquid refrigerant left in the system…and that’s it. You could be quite low and still have good static pressures.

We need to know pressures with the compressor running, max ac, fan on full blast. Ford specifies 1500rpm, but idle is good enough for right now. Also need to know the ambient temp

Pressures with the compressor off are just static pressures. They’ll tell you if there is ANY liquid refrigerant left in the system…and that’s it. You could be quite low and still have good static pressures.

We need to know pressures with the compressor running, max ac, fan on full blast. Ford specifies 1500rpm, but idle is good enough for right now. Also need to know the ambient temp
Ok so I re charged it with the truck running today everything turned on and still the a/c compressor won’t turn on by it’s self I have pro demand at my job and it said low side should be from 45-55 and high side from 125-200 I’m getting like 80 low side and like 80 high side how do I fix that maybe the pressure switches are telling the a/c to not turn on because of that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I re charged it with the truck running today everything turned on and still the a/c compressor won’t turn on by it’s self I have pro demand at my job and it said low side should be from 45-55 and high side from 125-200 I’m getting like 80 low side and like 80 high side how do I fix that maybe the pressure switches are telling the a/c to not turn on because of that?
Maybe a clogged orfic tube?

Back