A/C question.

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So I am just curious how automotive A/C systems work. I want my A/C system to last a very long time since I'll own this vehicle until it dies. I turn off the car and after 2 or 3 minutes, I'd start the car back up again sometimes because I do quick stops and during hot days, the A/C is left on so every time I turn on the car, the A/C turns on and off with it. Also, sometimes I accidentally press the A/C to on when I don't want to and immediately turn it off.

Will it crash my A/C system or induce more wear than usual? I know if you do that on a regular A/C, or a window A/C with the little label saying don't turn on immediately after turn off or something. Will the car's A/C wear out similarly? Or are they not related and I'm being paranoid? Just a thought.

I'd say you are being paranoid, but I can appreciate you wanting the car to last for ever (or at least some approximation of it). Considering how often the A/C compressor cycles on and off in normal operation during its lifetime, a few more on/off cycles won't make a difference.

It would be much easier to Google how the A/C system works. Cars have had the same system for many years so it has really been perfected and they rarely go out.

Back