• Register Today It's free!

A/C System

blluebear

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc Mounty
Well, I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with the A/C out (90500 mi). Bearing went oun in the A/C clutch. I am pricing parts to fix the system. Has anyone heard of the brand AC Parts from Autozone? Are they any good? The other brands are Visteon and Ready Aire. In order to get the warrenty, I have to replace the compressor, accumulator/receiver and the orifice tube/expansion valve.

Should I replace the evaporator core at the same time? I just don't want to break the system more than I have to. Any help in the matter would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rather than bumping, you might want to try and post in the A/C section in "under the hood". Hopefully you will get a quick response there.

I bought mine as a kit with the compressor, accumulator and orifice off of ebay. I guess autozone could be no worse. I don't recall any A/C threads disparaging a certain remanufacturer over another.
At any rate, it's good practice to replace the accumulator after three years, and as long as the system's open replace the orifice. Unless you have reason to believe the evaporator's bad, leave it alone. When you replace the orifice look for black gunk on it (black death). If present change the condensor, the stuff melts at A/C refrigerant temp and solidifies at ambient,
As my friend, budwich points out, there is an A/C subforum this will be moved to when a moderator sees it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=123
Read the stickies at the top and ask questions.

Thank you for the post. I guess I am not searching the forum enough. I have never seen an A/C section.

Back