A Couple of Mechanical and Equipment Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Couple of Mechanical and Equipment Questions

nhubbard

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hi all!
I purchased an '02 Sport Trac w/ Automatic Transmission (I'm uncertain of the trim level), with 250,000 miles from a family member who took extremely good care of it.

It has a couple of small issues, mainly:
* Driver's door lock only works using key. Electronic locks only work on the other doors.
* When changing the brightness of the green florescent back light on the dashboard, the lights inside the vehicle flicker.
* Only 4-Wheel Drive High works. 4-Wheel Drive Low doesn't work at all.

Is there any value in fixing these issues, or are there any major issues that I should expect to either do preventative maintenance or repairs for that make these minor problems a moot point?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Your door lock actuator, or it’s connecting rod is likely worn out, or disconnected.

2. Your dimmer switch needs cleaned or replaced most likely.

3. Are you trying to shift into low in nuetral with your foot firmly on the brake?

#1 and 2: I'll take a look. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
#3: The only time I was shifting into 4WD-Low was when I was towing my friend's imploded 1997 Dodge pickup out of his driveway. I know that the 4WD High did something and the Low didn't change the handling. Maybe it was doing something and I didn't notice much since the towing wasn't too heavy. I was in neutral and braking when I shifted though.

Edit: I do remember that the 4WD Low light didn't come on in the dash. That might have something to do with it...

Low is pretty obvious. You’d probably know if you were in it.

There's a specific sequence to shift into and out of 4 low, and it won't go into/out of 4 low unless you follow it.

The dash lights in my '01 dim when I turn the headlights on and flicker when I adjust the dimmer switch. I read somewhere the problem is likely the headlight switch.

I agree with MBrooks. The door lock issue is more than likely the actuator/connecting rod/rivet that holds actuator to the door. My issue was actually the rivet on my door (down low about knee level) that holds the actuator to the door. After that broke, the actuator just moved up and down inside of the door and the lock pin never actually moved until I used the key. Mine also was able to unlock from the inside by pulling the door handle.

You have to be in neutral and at a complete stop in order to switch from 4hi to 4lo. Any other gear/moving and it won't go in.

I'm having a issue with my 4wd high and low. The light doesn't come on nor do I hear a click or anything when switching it on. I just bought it and it only has 70k miles so thought it was strange with such low miles it doesnt work. Any ideas truck is in pristine shape for the age. It's a 01. Thanks

I'm having a issue with my 4wd high and low. The light doesn't come on nor do I hear a click or anything when switching it on. I just bought it and it only has 70k miles so thought it was strange with such low miles it doesnt work. Any ideas truck is in pristine shape for the age. It's a 01. Thanks

Check your fuses. After that, there's a chance that the shift motor is seized. Check out YouTube videos to see how to manually shift the t-case using vise grips.

Check your fuses. After that, there's a chance that the shift motor is seized. Check out YouTube videos to see how to manually shift the t-case using vise grips.
Fixed it. Ended up being the 4x4 module. Now gotta work on a nasty valve cover gasket leak on the passenger side.

@01STrunner
"You have to be in neutral and at a complete stop in order to switch from 4hi to 4lo. Any other gear/moving and it won't go in. "

My '04 requires also that the brake pedal be depressed while switching to "4X4 LOW". imp

Yea my first ford not use to it. Had a lil Cherokee that I just sold for this. Extremely easy to work on compared to this thing lol.

Back