A few differential questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few differential questions

I might look into the torsen front eventually. I'm so deep moneywise into this truck getting rid of it any time soon is not an option. I have told myself it's not going anywhere at least until the transmission warranty runs out, which is about 4 years and 8 months out, or another 57,x.. miles.

Replacement engine, trans rebuild, quick struts at all 4 corners, 3 wheel bearings, new front suspension, the list goes on, all since October. I thought it was a good deal when I bought it...

On a differential related note, how hard is it to replace the bushings for the front diff mounting? Picked up a running, driving 02 premier for $300 and it needs those bushings.

On a differential related note, how hard is it to replace the bushings for the front diff mounting? Picked up a running, driving 02 premier for $300 and it needs those bushings.

If they have three like the 2nd gen's, off the vehicle, then they wouldn't be bad. You can drop the front carrier out and do them out of the vehicle. I just worked on one of my 98 front carrier's yesterday, those bushings usually don't go bad. They would have to be pressed out and in.

Yeah it has 3. And they are definitely bad. Absolutely no question. Rotating the tires by hand off the ground you can see the whole thing move. It makes some nasty clunks when shifting, and getting on and off the throttle from the torque changing causing it to rotate.

Pressed out in an actual press? Or can one use c clamps or a screw type ball joint press?

Yeah it has 3. And they are definitely bad. Absolutely no question. Rotating the tires by hand off the ground you can see the whole thing move. It makes some nasty clunks when shifting, and getting on and off the throttle from the torque changing causing it to rotate.

Pressed out in an actual press? Or can one use c clamps or a screw type ball joint press?

It sounds like the same three bolt mounting that the 2nd gen has. To change those bushings will require removing the entire front housing to get to the bushings. Getting the hubs and axles out of the way takes the longest time. The front assembly itself isn't hard to work with out of the car, but from underneath it's difficult to work with.

I used an old battery the last two I swapped out, to set the diff/housing onto. On the 2nd gen, it's simple to remove the left and rear mounting bolt, and lower it down part way to the object like the battery I used. The rubber vent hose has to be removed from the housing or frame(clip) before dropping it out all the way. Reverse to install, the vent hose you have to be careful with to get it put back in before/as you lift the housing back up.

Find the part numbers for those bushings, then you might find alternates and see if the prices vary enough to matter to consider others.

R&Ring the front diff/housing is what you'd do to swap gears. If that is still a thought, find out what it would take to do the rear assembly also. In the 3rd gen, you can swap the whole chunk/assembly to swap gear ratios. You said there was a 3.73 vehicle with an LSD rear?

Back