A n00b cleaning the dashboard wonders... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A n00b cleaning the dashboard wonders...

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4X4
Cleaning the dashboard in my '95 X i notice there is lots of fuzz and hair and stuff behind the plastic that covers the gauges.. just to get that clear cover off to clean them, do i just remove the two bolts on the top of the cluster outside the plastic? (hard to explain, if you look at the dash there are two bolts on the underside of the dash... ok look: Can i remove these two fasteners to get behind the clear plastic to clean the gauges? thanks
dashq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the same problem, removed the two screws but no go for me. Have this little mummified spider floatin around in there, his name is earl, I just learned to live with him.

darn. :| oh well... anyone else?

To remove the instrument cluster finish you need to remove the radio and bezel to get at some bolts, and also the knee bolster to get at a few more bolts.

spindlecone said:
Got the same problem, removed the two screws but no go for me. Have this little mummified spider floatin around in there, his name is earl, I just learned to live with him.

:p LOL

spindlecone said:

:eek: YOU FOUND MY DAD!!!!!!! i lost that lil sucker like 2 years ago, can you ship him back to me when you suck him out?? careful not to crunch him. If you could get shipping costs that'd be great 2. Thanks :D

TJM623 said:
:eek: YOU FOUND MY DAD!!!!!!! i lost that lil sucker like 2 years ago, can you ship him back to me when you suck him out?? careful not to crunch him. If you could get shipping costs that'd be great 2. Thanks :D
Well, UH, just got the critter out via a drilled hole,BUT, using the straw technique, I swallowed the little guy (sorry)
Will try to locate him in the A.M. :eek:

ahh keep him, i don't want him covered it man doo doo :thumbdwn:

Im hungry all of a sudden...

damn... oh well, but i was looking at those indiglos... 2 q's bout them since ive seen how to install them.. after hooking them up, does the dimmer work to adjust brightness, also, were is the CF-looking bezel that goes around them? ive seen a pic somewhere on this site but i have found any info on it.
EDIT: just found the dimming question.. thanks

spindlecone said:
Well, UH, just got the critter out via a drilled hole,BUT, using the straw technique, I swallowed the little guy (sorry)
Will try to locate him in the A.M. :eek:

I sure hope you're joking... taking the gauge cluster out is a 30 min job that requires merely a 7mm and 8mm socket.

search ebay for carbon fiber ford explorer gauge or sumthin i've seen them for like 20$

Back