A New Old Member looking to buy again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A New Old Member looking to buy again

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
What's up guys. I dumped my 96 Explorer XLT (Centaurus Conversion Package) when i bought my Impala SS and now i'm considering getting (my wife) back into an SUV. She found 2 Explorers locally and I'd like your input.

There's a 2001 XLT with 50,000 on the clock for $10k, and a 2002 with 90,000 for about the same price but comes with a 4yr-100,000mi extended warranty (don't know specs on warranty though). We're credit-impared so we don't have much leverage to get better pricing. We have to get a second car as she is going back to school in the fall and we can't share anymore.

Presuming they're both similarly equipped, what do you think? She's partial to the appearance of the 2002, but i don't know if i could pass up saving 40,000mi.

If it were you, which would you choose and why? I read a lot about the new body style for 2002 and it seems to be hit or miss. I know first hand about the problems with new body styles, owning a 2006 Impala SS, purchased in 2005. I don't know if i would do it again. However, after 90,000mi in the '02 Explorer, i would think most "quirks" would have been remedied by now.

She's (we've) driven neither, so i can't comment on which feels better, but just want a heads up on things to look for between the two.

(She's also looking at a couple 99-01 Durangos, Jeep GC's and a 1999 Landrover Discovery)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what engine is in the 2001?

I'd assume the SOHC V6 but not sure...i haven't even seen that one. She just told me about the mileage.

EDIT: MODS, if you want to move this somewhere else, go for it...i didn't know where to put this since it covers two generations of Explorers.

Thanks Al. We're heading out to look at a 2002 Mountaineer AWD right now. 84,000mi and $9k, but through a private party, so he should be able to be broiught down some.

2002.... The v6 2001s have the timing chain problems. I would save yourself the trouble.

Thanks. The '02 Mounty V6 AWD was nice, although the owner could not get to where it was while we were there, so i could not start it. The rear bumper had some minor "can live with it" damage but was otherwise in decent shape. The interior stunk, but i couldn't tell if it was the nasty Yankee Candle thing in there or just plain'old B.O. LOL. The wife likes it...we'll see. Nice part was it had the 3rd row seats, which will come in handy. Crappy part was that it had the 3 row seats, which cause an irregular platform in the rear of the truck and nothing is flat or level.

i would look into the 2001. hopefully you can get it a little cheaper.

Back