A QUICK question on part #883 (3'' body lift) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A QUICK question on part #883 (3'' body lift)

97GoldXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Gouverneur, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I'm just wondering if #883 will fit my '97 XLT and give it the proper lift?

ALSO --- I'm wondering if the bumper brackets will fit on my explorer?

what are the differences between part #853 and 833?

either way, I'm going to be buying it through www.summitracing.com

I'm gonna go have the shop order one of them tomorrow, so any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think mainly the differences are in the bumper brackets and the steering adapters between the 2 kits. The bumper brackets might fit otherwise you will need to custom fab some brackets to make the bumpers fit correctly.

I think mainly the differences are in the bumper brackets and the steering adapters between the 2 kits. The bumper brackets might fit otherwise you will need to custom fab some brackets to make the bumpers fit correctly.

hmm.. would you know which one would be a better one to buy? They're both the same price

I would probably get the 853 for a 97.

i installed the 883 in my 99 sometime back and found that the front brackets actually worked on my front bumper but i had to get custom with the rear tho

So maybe u will get lucky like with the 853 and won't have to do much fabbing to get the bumpers looking right.

I would probably get the 853 for a 97.

i installed the 883 in my 99 sometime back and found that the front brackets actually worked on my front bumper but i had to get custom with the rear tho

So maybe u will get lucky like with the 853 and won't have to do much fabbing to get the bumpers looking right.

alrighty, thanks!

Up to 95-97 uses a differnt steering shaft coupler. That is main reason you need the PA853.

Up to 95-97 uses a differnt steering shaft coupler. That is main reason you need the PA853.

Ha ok GOOD, I don't wanna invest $200 into something an not having it be the right one, thanks a bunch!

That's what we are here for. :)

...so with my '98 XLT 5.0 AWD, I need the 883 then?

I have a 97, and I used the 883.
I think all I had to do with the steering adapter, was a tiny bit of drilling to elongate a hole.
The rear bumper brackets fit fine.
The fronts didn't.

I have a 97, and I used the 883.
I think all I had to do with the steering adapter, was a tiny bit of drilling to elongate a hole.
The rear bumper brackets fit fine.
The fronts didn't.

LOL
some people have problems with the back brackets and some with the front... I guess I will just have to find out the hard way.

I believe the 95-97 Explorers need the same style steering adapter as the 98+ Rangers, which is why the 883 kit is used. Rangers didn't go to SLA until 98.
But, the front brackets on the 95-97 Explorers are the same as the 95-97 Ranger, which come with the 853.

Back