• Register Today It's free!

A tranny flush story.

maroon93limited

Reaction score
City, State
Taber, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
So, I took the Ex in last week to get the oil changed (I'm not lazy, I won a free change from a local shop) and while I was there I checked on a price for a trans flush. For 160 bucks I couldn't say no.

Picked it up later that day, and holy crap on a stick! It was a night and day difference. Acceleration was vastly improved, the little bit of a surge it had is gone and it I don't have to put my foot through the floor board to get up to highway speed.

I always thought the trans seemed to be working a little hard in this thing, it just never seemed to have the get up and go it should have. According to the mechanic, it looked like the original filter in the thing. I guess it matched the original fuel filter that I changed last year. And the plugs, wires, etc. etc.

Best $160 I've ever spent on a vehicle. Highly recommended.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing wrong with being lazy- I wrench on my truck, but for $21 oil changes at my local dealer, it's not worth the $5 difference for me to lay under it. :)

IMG_0946.jpg

I had my trans flushed at the dealer too, I wanted it under their pen, and for 20 minutes and $140 it wasn't worth the hassle of doing it myself. Weekend time is limited and I'd rather spend it with my little dude now.

Nothing wrong with being lazy- I wrench on my truck, but for $21 oil changes at my local dealer, it's not worth the $5 difference for me to lay under it. :)

I had my trans flushed at the dealer too, I wanted it under their pen, and for 20 minutes and $140 it wasn't worth the hassle of doing it myself. Weekend time is limited and I'd rather spend it with my little dude now.

You got that right,I have a shop I trust do a lot of my work because A) I'm old and lazy. B)I'm sick of turning wrenches and C) I can afford it. I did do my own plugs and wires,I generally do my own brake work also but oil changes are a hassle and I still have to get rid of the oil and filter.$21 and done.:D

$21?! Wow, I wish oil changes were that cheap up here in Canada. I won the oil change I just got, but it was a "$45 value".

A friend just got the oil changed in his Escape to the tune of $62 through our local Ford dealership. The same dealership wanted close to $300 to do the tranny flush.

$21?! Wow, I wish oil changes were that cheap up here in Canada. I won the oil change I just got, but it was a "$45 value".

A friend just got the oil changed in his Escape to the tune of $62 through our local Ford dealership. The same dealership wanted close to $300 to do the tranny flush.

Dealers are the mechanics of last resort ! Find a good tranny shop, they are around, just had my Taurus flushed and filter changed for $110. Ford wanted twice that and would not change the filter...Despite what anyone says, you have to change the filter - to do otherwise is BS. Ford service manuals say you have to change the filters and give the interval to do it at but local dealerships tell their customers you don't have to. They figure they can make more on the job by not changing the filter.

Well, some of the vehicles they are working on don't have filters either- they may have screens- my 2004 Taurus was like that...

And my $21 change is a dealership. Look for coupons- they're out there. In fact, one fo the dealers here will price match too. Just have to ask, and they'll work with you. I like that I'm getting Ford parts too... I don't want a Fujabyashi oil filter. :D

Back