• Register Today It's free!

A4LD front seal?

Tommy T

Reaction score
City, State
Northern New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I have a 92 Explorer with 82,000 miles and just noticed the front seal leaking. I am familiar with the A4LD tranny with the front seal leaks. Is the process for front seal replacement the same as any other A4LD(with dual solenoids)?
Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, You have to drop the transmission to replace it. I would bet the bushing is worn out behind it. Thats a common cause of failure after its got some miles on it. If I went through the trouble to pull the trans, I would replace the bushing just for good measure. Its not that hard to do and not very expensive. If you are looking for instrucations, run a search for A4LD rebuild diary.

First off what makes you think it is front seal? Since you cannot visualize the front seal, you have to make certain assumptions, so I am curious to know why you think it is front seal?

The reasons why I strongly think it's the front seal......
While I was driving on the highway(65 mph) I noticed a cloud of white smoke from behind me only when giving it gas. If I took my foot off of the gas, no smoke cloud. When I stepped on the gas.....white smoke cloud.
When I pulled over to inspect where the fluid was coming from. I so wanted to see the fluid from the vent pipe, hoping it was overfilled. But unfortunately, it was pouring from the front bellhousing. The fluid was red and smelled like normal ATF(no burnt smell)
I took all the backroads and slowly limped it home.
I got under to inspected the flywheel/ bellhousing area. The fluid is coming from behind the flywheel.
It very well maybe the torque converter, but I am assuming(for now) it is the front seal. I have had the same thing happen to my Bronco II (which I have owned and repaired for many years) On my Bronco II, I found the spacer behind the flywheel was broken in two areas which gave the converter an out of round condition eating up the front seal and bushing.
I am familiar to and have rebuilt a 2.9 A4LD but I have never done any work to a 4.0 A4LD. I know that there were some internal modifications to the 4.0 A4LD, but wasn't sure if the front seal install was the same as the earlier models.

Well, yeah, I guess I am with you, I suspect the front seal now too. When a seal fails, often the fix of just replacing it results in another failed seal in short order, if the transmission is not virgin. In a rebuild, pump alignment to the bellhousing bore is a critical factor and replacement os the bushing can end up eccentric - why my rebuilds have the bushing turned in place. So I guess I am asking, has this ever been rebuilt?

The Explorer Trans? No.

well once it is out, check the condition of the front bushing in the bellhousing, if it is ok, DO NOT REMOVE THE BELLHOUSING AND PUMP, simply replace the seal and stake it in place and put it all back together...

Thank you very much Glacier991! I appreciate it very much!!

Back