A4ld is gettin fixed, Im gettin screwed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4ld is gettin fixed, Im gettin screwed

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
Hey guys, i need your opinion. I have a bad leak between the bell housing and the motor (who hasnt at one point or another) and im finally gettin it fixed. The Tranny shop i brought it to said my front seal was new and it wasnt leaking from there. They said i had a cracked Torque converter and it was leaking outta the torque converter. Could this be true, i mean it seems to me that the front seal wouldent let the fluid outta there if it was leaking outta the converter, but im not sure. Also, $500 for the front seal leak and $280 for a new converter. Like $800 altogether. Appreciate your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$800 is alot, what you are paying for is labor. If you are gonna pay that much for labor you mine as well throw in another $400 an have it rebuilt....

I would do some serious research on this site using the search feature before I took my A4LD to any old tranny shop for any sort of work. The people doing the work should really know the A4LD, otherwise, the nightmare begins with the first rebuild......

Why both

You either need a new torque converter or a front seal. no need to do both but if you were:

pull transmission $275
front seal replaced $75
converter $175 - 280

So, $650 would be about right. I just bought a rebuilt TC for $105 that works with the Explorer but is not ideal. A closer price is around $250.

There replacing the front seal because they pulled the tranny, there replacing all of the seals because the tranny is out now. And i shoould'v explained better, its $500 for labor and parts (not the converter) including pulling the tranny, replacing the seals and converter, and putting it back in. Also, he was the cheapest guy in the area (im in college and poor as hell, so cheap is good.) AAMCO wanted $650 for just replacing the seals, and Lemonster Transmission wanted $800 for the seals.

in the for sale section there were some converters listed
they were heavy duty and pretty cheap

Hmmmmm... i got it back today and the new converter is kinda weird. It is like it has a higher stall speed or something. When i come up to a light and stop it will try and surge the truck forward in pulses, as if i was slowly pumping the gas. And when i start off, it will rev up before it starts off and then slam into gear, like i was dumping the clutch at 1500 rpm's (if it was a standard). It is cool because now it will spin tire off the line when it drops into gear, but i dont want it to blow up my poor old decrepid A4ld. Im pretty sure its not coming outa gear, it just locks up when it hits 1500rpm. Normal driving after startoff is fine, though.

That sound very like another problem that has been solved by fitting a new TPS. see Dead Link Removed
Sorry I don't know how to make a link to another posting. Anybody know please tell?:)

Edit Thanks....

I just copy and past the address and it shows right up as a link. You may have something turned off in your profile that does it automatically

yup! right again guys! i put in a new TPS and it idles like a charm. Funny thing though, the TPS for a 1991 Ford Explorer did not fit on my engine! Turns out i apparently have an intake off of a 1992 ford ranger 4.0! kinda weird.

Back